Problem running linuxmint when connecting an external monito

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lunatic

Problem running linuxmint when connecting an external monito

Post by lunatic »

I've installed daryna on my laptop, and its running fine when I'm only using the laptop monitor.
As soon as I plug in my external screen it takes forever booting, and when it starts up, everyting is laggy.

I have a Quanta KN1 915PM notebook barebone 15,4W/915PM/GF6600. And the monitor is a 20" BenQ, FP202W.

I really like linux, but because of this problem I'm mainly running XP.. so if anyone know what I can do to fix this I would really appreciate it :)

//lunatic
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Problem running linuxmint when connecting an external monito

Post by Husse »

It seems that you've asked the same question at the Ubuntu forums as epcp - that's OK :)
I have been professionally engaged in computing (hardware) from 1997 to 2005 and a superuser before and after. I have never even heard of a problem like this - sometimes it goes all dark, but....
It does not make sense
I found out on BenQ's homepage
Horizontal Frequency 31 - 81 (KHz)
Vertical Frequency 56 - 76 (Hz)
Take a look in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
You should have a section like this
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Generic Monitor"
Option "DPMS"
Horizsync 30-70
Vertrefresh 50-160
EndSection
The values should be the same.
To edit you have to be root - in gnome open a terminal in X11 and

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit xorg.conf
Before you continue open a terminal and issue xvidtune
Click cancel in the pop up that pops up and in the terminal you have the values for your laptop.
If they are very different you have a problem...
Connect the external monitor and restart X (alt+ctrl+backspace)
This is a long shot but the only thing I can think of
lunatic

Re: Problem running linuxmint when connecting an external monito

Post by lunatic »

Yeah, figured they might help too, and my very unique username was already taken :D

Thank you for replying. I tried editing xorg.conf, and restarting x-server. It didn't help.
I think this is a hardware issue, even though I have never had any problems in xp/vista. I've tried booting with both linuxmint and ubuntu live cd's. And also then my computer hangs up as soon as I plug in the monitor (doesn't matter if I get a picture on it or not). And as soon as I unplug it, everything works perfect.
It's the same when everything is up and running, as soon as I plug the monitor in, it lags. Unplug it - everything working as it should.

Don't know if it matters, but this is what xvidtune says about my laptop monitor:

Code: Select all

Vendor: , Model: 
Num hsync: 1, Num vsync: 1
hsync range 0:  31.50 -  37.90
vsync range 0:  50.00 -  70.00
Video are not settable on this chip

Return to “Hardware Support”