USB Thumb Drives Not Mounting

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
theoneghost
Level 1
Level 1

USB Thumb Drives Not Mounting

Post by theoneghost » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:09 pm

Mint can't seem to mount one of my thumb drives. I know that its formatted in FAT32, and it's a SanDisk Cruzer Mini. It tells me that there could be a file system problem, or a superblock problem, and dmesg | tail doesn't say anything about the drive. I was womdering if anyone had the same problem, or if anyone could offer any help.

Patrick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Patrick » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:02 pm

I am having that same issue. I tried to run my USB thumb drive in when booting and hot plugging. Non works and it's a FAT32 file system on it. I have a Verbatim 512 USB thumb drive and my Fedora and Mandrake setups both let me access it.

I wonder what the issue could be...

I love how it can mount my NTFS partition from my XP Pro install just out of the box, but I would rather it mounted my USB drive out of the box and had to hand config the NTFS drive instead.

Patrick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Patrick » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:34 pm

.:Fix:.

It is a partition issue, with mine anyways.

I decided to back up all my files by transferring them under Windows to the hard drive and then doing a full format of the drive. Then I booted back up into Mint and found now that it is being detected, however the drive cannot be read. I opened up GParted and gave it a new partition again using GParted.

I unmounted the usb drive first and gave it an EXT3 instead of FAT32. Using EXT Utility I am able to access it now using a small FAT32 partition on it that holds the EXT Windows program to install for use in Windows without issues. Now I can use it in Windows and Mint while keeping the EXT3 setup.

If you notice, most of these drives come with 2 different partition tables on it. One of them used for a password security deal to keep other people from getting into it. Just move the EXT Utility to that portion and format the other portion to EXT3 and you can now make it work under both sides.

However. The EXT utility must be installed to use in Windows. It also lets you view your Linux Swap and EXT3 partition under Windows if you have any other type of drive with that format. This includes USB, External and Internal drives.

This is the way it works for me anyways. There might be a better way, however this is the best I can come up with.

The Utility for EXT access under Windows can be found at http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html

It says EXT2 but it does with with EXT3. They are same the same pair of pants if you put simple like.

Sorry if this is a lot of information with a lot of do this and do that. However that EXT utility is a bonus.

theoneghost
Level 1
Level 1

Post by theoneghost » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:30 pm

I can't do this. I use this drive with portable apps, because I use it on school PC's. They dont allow me to install anything on them. I've used the EXT for windows, and I like it, but I'm using Reiser with Mint. I need to be able to get files onto it from any windows machine, then just be able to have it mounted under Mint so I can read and write. I'm willing to reformat under linux, if it will work under windows everywhere.

Return to “Mounting Partitions”