Mounting other drives

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
helios
Level 1
Level 1

Mounting other drives

Post by helios » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:54 pm

I have no idea why I am drawing a blank here, but I am so here I am.

In most other distro's I have used, and all of them were kde distros, my other drives were either immediately available on the hard drive or could be seen in the "mnt" folder in the file system. I am having fits trying to get to my music and other entertainment media on my hda6 drive. My windows drives on the network pop up with no problems at all...just having trouble mounting the drives on hda. I have used the mount command but it is telling me command not found. thanks

edit: I was able to get kwikdisk installed and that "usually" gets things straighened out straight away, however this time it still refuses to acknowledge the existance of hda6 (I am in Mint Linux live cd mode ATT) My regular distro is on hdb1 with swaps on both hda and hdb. Not that it matters I suppose, I am just befuddled by my lack of remembering how to get this done. [/img]

Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:30 pm

Does it show up in the Places menu?

You can also check the Computer section in Places to see if it shows up.

helios
Level 1
Level 1

not there at all

Post by helios » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:33 pm

No, hda6 is not evident anywhere I look on the system. I believe I had this problem with ubuntu, obviously but it seems to me that I could eventually get them to show. I know in kde I can go to "behavior" under the desktop section in "look and feel" and check the "show unmounted drives" and all would show up on the desktop. Then it was a simple matter of right clicking, mounting and all was good. Here, I can not get the drives to materialize at all.

h

anselm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by anselm » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:03 pm

helios
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you

Post by helios » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:05 am

Pardon the perceived rudeness of my late reply. I travel alot as I am the Director of IT for my company and at times wonder if I really have a home, LOL.

I found the exact page you offered about 2 days after posting but was in San Jose and up to my neck in server logs. Much thanks to you for the link. Now, let me see if I can speak to the powers that be in order to get this scripted to happen automagically. Why the Ubuntu Devs haven't done so already is a sign that they are not extremely concerned about luring the new user. I will bring this subject up in full in a different post, but if you use Kanotix, Mepis, PCLinuxOS or a number of other new user friendly disto's...the icon for your other drives are right on the desktop. all you have to do is right click them, click mount and you are in "bidness."

thanks again

helios

jonpackard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonpackard » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:35 am

I believe that not automatically mounting your hard drives on the Live CD was intentional in Ubuntu.
This CD contains an Ubuntu system that you can try safely without altering any of the files on your computer.
Granted, the CD would not modify the files on its own, but a new user could accidentally modify a file if they weren't careful. During the installation stage, the hard drive partitions are added to the /etc/fstab file. The user has control over this. Personally, I would prefer to not have the Live CD mount hard drives automatically. I like to know that when I put the Live CD into a PC, not one thing will be changed on the hard drive. I use the Live CD as a portable OS when I'm not at my PC. If it mounted the hard drives, I would really have to be careful to properly shut down so it unmounts them. Usually i just hit reset, and eject the CD to get the PC back to its default OS.

Perhaps Ubuntu or Linux Mint can find a good middle-point between using the Live CD safely (even for someone who has never used Linux) and allowing users to easily access files from the hard drive without using terminal. I hand out Ubuntu CDs (or Linux Mint CDs when I can afford the CD-Rs) to anyone and everyone that will take a look. I feel safe telling them they can put in the CD, reboot and just play around with it.
Jon Packard -- Linux Mint user since 11/14/2006

jonpackard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonpackard » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:15 am

I decided to fire up the Live CD and see if I could mount my hard drive partitions without using the terminal. First I tried adding Disk Mounter to the panel.. it would not add. This was probably because there is no data in the fstab file for it to read. I tried installing several other programs using Synaptic until I found one that fits the bill:
Graphical Storage Device Manager
PySDM is a PyGTK Storage Device Manager that allows full customization of hard
disk mountpoints whitout manually access to fstab.
It also allows the creation of udev rules for dynamic configuration of storage
devices
This allowed me to alter the fstab configuration and to mount the drives by hitting Alt+F2 and running 'gksu pysdm'. I will suggest this to be added to Bianca.
Jon Packard -- Linux Mint user since 11/14/2006

Nikky The Yo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nikky The Yo » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:43 pm

Hi guys!
I mounted my second hard disk with "gksu pysdm" as suggested by jon, but as user I can't write on it (of course, "\media" is under root...).
How can I change the permissions?
thanxxx

Quicksilver 689
Level 1
Level 1

Solution! :)

Post by Quicksilver 689 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:36 pm

I used the below link myself and it works great. Give this a try:

http://www.arsgeek.com/?p=585

This involves installing ntfs-3g and making a slight addition to your /etc/fstab file, trust me it's not complicated at all. I have been able to access my WinXP HDD flawlessly ever since.

Good luck! :D
Music Is The One True Universal Language
James 1:2-5,12

mikeon11
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikeon11 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:41 pm

you should find all mounted drive in /media. not in /mnt, like other distros . this is where all my mounted drives are located.

mint auto mount these drives, ide/sata, fat and ntfs. one good reason i prefer it to ubuntu

Return to “Mounting Partitions”