Fuzzy Question on partitions

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
zen

Fuzzy Question on partitions

Post by zen » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:31 pm

Ok - coming from a mac setup - when I install ubuntu or Mint off the cd and overwrite the complete HD on a laptop - how does this atou partition? what are the partitions called? and how many partitions? and what do they do? and is the let the CD do it itself the best way? if so - why? if NOT - they WHY?

I tried a while agot to do MY own partition but it had maybe 3 partitions nad they were called all sorts of weird things....did not write down so did not document this. so i went ahead and just did the auto install.

I am absolutely confused. I have read and been told so many conflicting disparate things that I wanted to know the correct and best way - no dual boot just all linux.

I am getting a brand new ubuntu machine from shoprcubed and it is either keep that since they support this 100% and all stuff will or should work. But I have mentioned to them I really am deeply impressed with mint. But if I do and stuff does not work I am on my own. Hence the reasons for buying the pre-installed and siupported laptop. The crappey acer I just bought did not fly. so I sent it back luckily.

anyway - I am a fan of Mint and would ove to do this but am lost. I am very lost. and new to linux and non-windows oriented too.

the serious option I have but no $$$ this last laptop killed me, is to buy another from them just to try to get this to work with Mint.

costly, crazy, and decadent! esp. since I have a powerbook and a macbook pro. my daughter has an imac, my wife and old insprion for work and the university bought her but they own it a 17" powerbook a couple of years ago, we are on airport extreme.

so please help in my understanding?

thank you and sorry for the long post.

blacklinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blacklinux » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:36 pm

sorry could not sign in with my zen name had to register another name....

any takers as to anyone willing to try to explain all of this to me please....

if I load Bianca I want the laptop 100% linux bianca. I want 2 GB swap file and whatever many Gb for whatever i need to do and all of the remaining to be for use for storage of files etc, etc, etc..... but as I said I am not sure what and how all of these things are called and how to get what where when I install....I am new to this whole can of worms...

thank you.

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:55 am

blacklinux wrote:any takers as to anyone willing to try to explain all of this to me please....
Please use the search function. If you still have questions ask precisely what you want to know in a short concise way, please. Thank you :wink:

blacklinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blacklinux » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:11 am

OoKayy!

Return to “Mounting Partitions”