Problems with internal HDD drives

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pondis

Problems with internal HDD drives

Post by Pondis »

Hello all

I am somewhat of a super noob when it comes to Linux so please take that into consideration before hating me too much.

Basically I have 3 HDD installed in my PC.

1x Maxtor 6H400F0 which is a 400gb drive that Mint is installed on despite me not wanting it there.
1x Maxtor 6V250F0 which is a 250gb drive which is where Mint should be but isnt.
1x Samsung HD103SJ which is a 1tb drive that should have all my music and movies on but which I fear are now no longer there.

In Computer I can mount the 250gb drive after formatting and making a whole partition.

I cant mount the 400gb drive which is where Linux is installed, but I can access it though File System.

I cant do anything with the 1tb drive. Through disks I can see it is a GUID Partition Table with 1.0TB Free Space and 134MB Microsoft Reserved space. When I try to delete the reserved space I get:
Error deleting partition /dev/sda1: Command-line `parted --script "/dev/sda" "rm 1"' exited with non-zero exit status 1: Error: The backup GPT table is corrupt, but the primary appears OK, so that will be used.
Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk!
(udisks-error-quark, 0)

And when trying to create a partiton in the free space to use I get:
Error creating partition on /dev/sda: Command-line `parted --align optimal --script "/dev/sda" "mkpart \" \" ext2 129MiB 1000203787263b"' exited with non-zero exit status 1: Error: The backup GPT table is corrupt, but the primary appears OK, so that will be used.
Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk!
(udisks-error-quark, 0)

So all in all I am a tad lost...

How do I mount the 1tb drive? Can I ever do it? Can I move Mint to the smaller drive or leave it alone?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Problems with internal HDD drives

Post by DrHu »

UUID device identities work , when used
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingUUID

Udisks is for a USB drive, so is your 1TB hard drive a USB device or externally mounted USB (connected) drive ..

You could move Linux OS data or the whole partition to another drive via a disk cloning program (Clonezilla or Acronis True image, I think they have a free version that Linux can use..)
--as long as the space taken up by the image fits into the space available on another driver, you can move larger-->smaller or smaller-->larger [drive(s)]
  • The other option you have is a backup program to collect your data from the available partition and restore it to the other partition
    --however, if you don't have much running yet on the Linux OS, you could collect the apps you have installed and reinstall those after you install the Linux OS onto the hard drive device, you wish to use..

Code: Select all

dpkg --get-selections > filename.txt
--save installed file list
dpkg --get-selections < filename.txt
install from saved install file list 
http://clonezilla.linuxfreedom.com/
http://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/clonezilla
Pondis

Re: Problems with internal HDD drives

Post by Pondis »

I am thinking of just reinstalling on the smaller drive to be honest.

I didnt do much anyway, only installed Chrome.

But the TB drive is an internal SATA and has never been external.

Return to “Storage”