Problem with mounting hard disc

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wazabi

Problem with mounting hard disc

Post by Wazabi »

I have a laptod with two hard discs, one ssd for the OS and on for my files. I used to run Win8 and I decided to switch to Linux mint (Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca). The installation went smooth. However, when I try to access the other hard disc i get the following message:

Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /media/dan/Main: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sdb1" "/media/dan/Main"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
read-only with the 'ro' mount option.

I do understand that I need to log in to Windows again and shut it down properly but since Windows does not exist anymore I am at a loss of what to do.

1. Would it help if I installed Windows with virtualbox?
2. Is there any other methode I could try?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Problem with mounting hard disc

Post by coffee412 »

Mount the drive manually as Read-only.
mkdir /mnt/test
mount -t ntfs -o ro /dev/sdb1 /mnt/test
cd /mnt/test
ls
Depending on how you installed windows on the drive your files may be on /dev/sdb2 instead.

You can fire up disks (menu/Accessories/disks) and take a look at the partitions to make sure.

See if that works.

coffee
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Wazabi

Post by Wazabi »

That did the trick! Thanks.

Just an additional question, is it possible to make /test to appear in the left side of Nemo so that I can quickly access the files?
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Wazabi wrote:That did the trick! Thanks.

Just an additional question, is it possible to make /test to appear in the left side of Nemo so that I can quickly access the files?
To have it mount whenever you boot up you have to edit your /etc/fstab and add a line to tell it to automatically mount it on boot. There are a lot of examples on the internet if you google it. I dont use nemo I have caja running as default for Mint. However, You should be able to "bookmark" the mounted drive in nemo somewhere.

Glad I could help :)

coffee
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36

Return to “Storage”