fstab question, and UUIDs revisited

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
kb0hae
Level 1
Level 1

fstab question, and UUIDs revisited

Post by kb0hae » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:13 pm

Hi First, a question. Has the problem of no Fstab entries for partitions other than the one LM is installed on fixed yet? If it wasn't for this problem (I understand Ubuntu started this) I could recommend Linux Mint 5 KDE CE to a few friends.

As for UUIDs, it would not be a bad idea of the UUID for a particular partition on a hard drive was the SAME UUID SAME UUID every time, no matter what. What causes problems is when a partition is re-used such as wiping out a distro you were trying, and installing another on the same partition. When you do this, a new UUID is generated for the partition, causing you to have to edit the fstab entry for any other distros you have installed. Which is why I comment out the UUID in the fstab files and use the /dev/sdxx drive labels instead.

So just why do we need unique drive/partition ids again?

msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Re: fstab question, and UUIDs revisited

Post by msuggs » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:50 am

kb0hae wrote:So just why do we need unique drive/partition ids again?
No benefit that I can see. They just seem to cause headaches :?

blues-guy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blues-guy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:52 am

Just installed Mint 5

created 3 partition:

"/"
"/home"
"/data"

The "/data" partition is in /etc/fstab with exact same details as "/home" but doesn't show anywhere that I can find.

Appears to be mounted at boot ( as it should be, being the same details in fstab as /home" but doesn't show anywhere

ie not in /media, /dev. not on Desktop, not in "Computer" etc.

In addition, My DVD-RW wont load DVD-RAM disks ( same problem as Ubuntu/Kubuntu 8.04 etc) - is there a fix?

DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DataMan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:01 pm

Hi First, a question. Has the problem of no Fstab entries for partitions other than the one LM is installed on fixed yet?
This problem does not exist if you choose the manual partition at time of installation. With the manual partition, you can identify any partition on any of your hard drives to be mounted at boot. Choose the "edit" option on the desired partition. Set the mount point to /media/<name you want to use for the partition>. DO NOT select the "Format" option for these partitions as it will wipe out any and all data that resides on the partition.

Hope this helps.

DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:33 pm

kb0hae,

I would suggest you look into using LABEL instead of UUID. Then the problem you describe with UUIDs changing won't be a problem and you will still have the advantage of an unique identifier. And yes there are some advantages to an unique identifier in these days of SATA drives and so many external storage options. Search for "Fred LABEL" and you will get a number of hits here in the forum. You can also Goggle "fstab LABEL" and get more information.

If you decide to do this, I have found the hard way that it is best for compatibility with other programs that might use the LABEL information, that you make your labels with letters and numbers only, don't use spaces in them, and make them 15 or less characters long.

@blues-guy,
It appears that you have tried to mount two partitions to the same folder, (/home). Only one partition can be mounted to a given folder. fstab usually uses the first entry and ignores any others trying to mount to the same folder.

Let me explain briefly how it works. You can mount or bind a partition to one or more folders located almost anywhere in your file system. You do this on boot with the file /etc/fstab. So if you want to mount a partition to a folder in your /home, you must create it if it doesn't already exist, so fstab can mount to it on boot.

Let's say you have a data partition you wish to mount in your home. You could call it just about anything you wish. For this example we will create a folder called "GoodStuff". You can do this either through your chosen GUI or at the CLI with:

mkdir /home/fred/GoodStuff

You would then put a line in fstab to mount your data partition to that folder. In your case I think you have two identical mount lines except for the UUIDs. Change the last of the two identical /home mount lines to mount to from:

UUID=2d42d6cb-3e2b-4386-9991-2f1d88c27979 /home ext3 defaults,relatime 0 2

to

UUID=2d42d6cb-3e2b-4386-9991-2f1d88c27979 /home/fred/GoodStuff ext3 defaults,relatime 0 2

You will need to use your UUID, not mine, and change "fred" to your user name of course. Your mode information, (defaults,relatime), may not match exactly what I have above but that's ok. Use whatever you have in your fstab. The above is just an example.

If you don't have two /home mount lines. Don't do what I said. That means I guessed wrong about what you have. Post a copy of your /etc/fstab file.

After you reboot you should have a folder in your /home called GoodStuff that has the contents of your data partition in it.

Good luck. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

Return to “Mounting Partitions”