SD card doesn't mount automatically

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

SD card doesn't mount automatically

Post by overkill22 »

Don't know what happened but now if I insert my SD card in the card reader of the laptop, nothing happen.
The notebook doesn't see any card.
It is working only if I insert the card and the start the pc.

I had this issue before but I don't remember what I did to fix it. I think there is some command to give or something like that.
Any suggestion?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: SD card doesn't mount automatically

Post by all41 »

Make sure this option is enabled.
There is an option in File Management Preferences to automatically mount removable media
when inserted. You can get to this by opening your home folder and click on Edit in the toolbar,
then Preferences. If using Cinnamon it is under the Behaviour Tab/Media Handling.
In Mate it is under the Media Tab
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

all41 wrote:Make sure this option is enabled.
There is an option in File Management Preferences to automatically mount removable media
when inserted. You can get to this by opening your home folder and click on Edit in the toolbar,
then Preferences. If using Cinnamon it is under the Behaviour Tab/Media Handling.
In Mate it is under the Media Tab
yes it is checked. the problem is that seems like the sd reader is not recognize by the system if you don't on the computer with the sd in.
Hobbes2

Post by Hobbes2 »

I use this command/script in the terminal to mount the SD card on my old Dell Inspiron, this is perhaps what you were using before:

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe -r r852 ; sudo modprobe -r sdhci_pci ; sudo modprobe r852 ; sudo modprobe sdhci_pci

overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

Hobbes2 wrote:I use this command/script in the terminal to mount the SD card on my old Dell Inspiron, this is perhaps what you were using before:

sudo modprobe -r r852 ; sudo modprobe -r sdhci_pci ; sudo modprobe r852 ; sudo modprobe sdhci_pci

mmm....no, was just something to do just once...
Hobbes2

Post by Hobbes2 »

The symptom you describe is what I experience, on my old hardware at least, i.e. the SD card has to be in the slot before the laptop is started for it to be detected. Otherwise that little script works for me (the card has to be in the slot first before the script is run).

But yes, it's not a one-time fix, I have to run the command every time I want to mount the card (although, strangely, now and again it will still mount automatically!)

But this is on my 8 year old system, I've not had any detection problems with newer computers I've used. From my understanding the protocol or whatever for detecting these cards changed with the newer hardware, or something?
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

Hobbes2 wrote:The symptom you describe is what I experience, on my old hardware at least, i.e. the SD card has to be in the slot before the laptop is started for it to be detected. Otherwise that little script works for me (the card has to be in the slot first before the script is run).

But yes, it's not a one-time fix, I have to run the command every time I want to mount the card (although, strangely, now and again it will still mount automatically!)

But this is on my 8 year old system, I've not had any detection problems with newer computers I've used. From my understanding the protocol or whatever for detecting these cards changed with the newer hardware, or something?
i don'0t know...I'm using my laptop that is a hp pavilion dv5-1030el, had this problem in the past, then fixed it a couple of times, without having to run the script.
then somehow sometimes , after some updates, I have to fix it again. But now I don't remember how.
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

I think I need to give a command to make the laptop loading the driver for the sd reader.

Its something like with the nvidia driver, every time that you change the kernel, you have to update it to load the nvidia driver...
Hobbes2

Post by Hobbes2 »

Not at all sure I'm on the right track here, but; did you try rolling back to a previous kernel to see if the card still gets mounted there ok?
overkill22 wrote:
had this problem in the past, then fixed it a couple of times, without having to run the script
Do you mean the script did actually work on your system? If it did, those commands might give an indication where to look for the fault, at least.
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

Hobbes2 wrote:Not at all sure I'm on the right track here, but; did you try rolling back to a previous kernel to see if the card still gets mounted there ok?
overkill22 wrote:
had this problem in the past, then fixed it a couple of times, without having to run the script
Do you mean the script did actually work on your system? If it did, those commands might give an indication where to look for the fault, at least.
i didn't try the script because last time I didn't need to make a script to make the SD card read again...
romiotto
Level 1
Level 1

Post by romiotto »

Guys,

Please check if your SD card was formatted using windows exfat.
If this is the case, just install mount.exfat-fuse

sudo apt-get install exfat-fuse

And SD will mount automatically.
yamaharacer 2015
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yamaharacer 2015 »

romiotto wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:06 pm Guys,

Please check if your SD card was formatted using windows exfat.
If this is the case, just install mount.exfat-fuse

sudo apt-get install exfat-fuse

And SD will mount automatically.
thanks. that worked for me!
Pogo555

Post by Pogo555 »

I found this link very helpful:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AutomaticallyMountPartitions
The description of the process is clear, and just ahead of the section on automatically mounting a partition is the command:

udisksctl mount --block-device /dev/disk/by-uuid/<uuid>
which I inserted into the auto start list.
Now my Documents folder, which is written seldom but read often, is on a 16G SD card, freeing up a gigabyte of drive space in my poor little netbook.

Pogo

Return to “Storage”