Unable to mount external hard drive

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SXK

Unable to mount external hard drive

Post by SXK »

I have an external drive (TrekStor DataStation Pocket Xpress) which worked fine until yesterday. I was moving some photos from my laptop to it and during this process the external drive was disconnected. I discovered the cable had some damage. I tried to mount it again with a new cable, but it doesn't work. :( Please help me, all my files are stored on there. (Yes, I know that was dumb!) Here's the error message:

Code: Select all

Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /media/gesch/TrekStor: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sdb1" "/media/gesch/TrekStor"' exited with non-zero exit status 13: $MFTMirr does not match $MFT (record 0).
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
for more details.
Windows? I don't have Windows....What can I do, that DOES NOT erase the data (I don't want to format for this reason)?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Unable to mount external hard drive

Post by Laurent85 »

ntfs is a Microsoft proprietary filesystem, Linux can't do much to repair. Run a filesystem check from someone windows machine. If you don't plan to use a Microsoft system do not use the ntfs filesystem, backup the external drive data and reformat the drive partition to the Linux ext4 filesystem.

Return to “Storage”