External Hard Drive won't mount

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
The Penguin

External Hard Drive won't mount

Post by The Penguin »

Hi there. I am wanting to move a second computer over to Linux Mint, and therefore backed up all the files I would like to keep onto an HD External Drive. Before installing Linux, though, I decided to check whether the file transfer went o.k. and whether I would be able to transfer all the backed-up files back onto the computer once I have converted to Linux. this I had done successfully in the past with the same External Drive. It, however, keeps on giving me the following message:

Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /media/jaco/Jaco's Backups: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sdb1" "/media/jaco/Jaco's Backups"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
read-only with the 'ro' mount option.

What do I do to solve this riddle?

Can anyone please help me?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: External Hard Drive won't mount

Post by deepakdeshp »

The windkws system should be cleanly shutdown.If not you get this error.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
The Penguin

Post by The Penguin »

Hi, I'm a bit lost here. Do you mean the Windows System, or do you refer to something else? And what do you mean by it should be shut down? Forgive me my ignorance, but I'm relatively new new at Linux.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Please attach the usb drive back to the Windows machine. Verify that files are accessible. Eject by right clicking on the drive icon or shut down Windows.

Attach the usb drive to Mint box and verify that you can access the files in the usb.
Good luck
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
pegasis
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pegasis »

I have the same issue

I can use clonzilla and clone to USB external drive, but mint OS does not see it in the same external hd dock??

how can I fix this??
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

pegasis wrote:I have the same issue

I can use clonzilla and clone to USB external drive, but mint OS does not see it in the same external hd dock??

how can I fix this??
By the "same issue", do you mean a Windows formatted disk that you can NOT real in Linux?

IF so, read the threads about having to fix this in Windows.

If this is NOT a Windows formatted disk -- then you do NOT have the same issue -- and should start your own thread.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Penguin,

The message alludes to being able to mount the partition read only. Since you intend to only copy files try the ro option

Code: Select all

sudo mount -t ntfs-3g -o ro,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=002,fmask=111 /dev/sdb1 /mnt
pegasis
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pegasis »

th bloody usb cable was bad

I replaced it and the HD dock worked
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Quite common for USB cables to be the culprit even if they are not faulty as such. My external DVD drive refuses to work properly with some cables that are fine for other devices.

Shorter = better & having a ferrite on the lead = better still. Long leads usually cause problems with DVD drives and external HDs in my experience.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Storage”