So it's come to this, I can't burn an updated Win7 iso (yes I still dualboot)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fruitkiller

So it's come to this, I can't burn an updated Win7 iso (yes I still dualboot)

Post by fruitkiller »

My windows 7 partition is completely messed up, and it's my fault only partially, I removed a lot of updates that were said to be to turn win7 into win10 "under-the-hood" and now I can't get updates at all, and I had to buy a Driver Genius 15 license because the cracked versions of older versions and paid versions of Driver Magician did not find all the drivers needed for my main power desktop.

I tried AcetoneIso, installed it, I tell it to mount the iso, then it tells me to enter this while in root in terminal : mount -t auto -o loop "/home/fypz/Documents/Windows 7 SP1 AIO 24in1 x64 en-US Sep2014 - murphy78/Win7AIO-24in1-SP1-x64-Sep2014.iso" /$path_to_somwhere/ which got it to be mounted as a virtual drive, the Burning Iso option doesn't react when I press it's button. So I gave up on AcetoneIso, just wanted to use what comes with Linux Mint... Burn Iso to Disk Writer... and it won't let me pick my DVD+-RW/CD+-RW drive! And unfortunately, WinUSB does not come with a burn to disk option. The iso needs a double layer DVD since it updated to sp1-september 2014 before all of the win10 crapola started so you can stop it right away with NoTen and such right there when installed. I got DL DVD's so I should be good.
Is there something else that's similar to say PowerIso in Windows in Linux, so far I only found AcetoneIso and it's useless, which is a shame, it comes with a lot of nifty options, even the kind where you can split an in iso or folder into multiple rar files for usenet uploading. UNetBootin doesn't allow for DVD burning. I have one USB Key with a Windows on it, ready to go, but I can't remember which one it is, other that it fits the 16gb and that it is 4.1gb in size, so it is a non-updated SP1 iso, I got a couple of those, I don't want to erase it, and my other usb flash drive is 64gb and has a lot of data on it, it's my go-to key to transport stuff, I'm not turning it into a Windows usb installer. I got tons of Double Layer DVD's so I might as well make use of them.

So even after going into "Disks" and remove the virtually mounted AcetoneIso-caused iso that I want to burn, I'm getting pissed off enough that I downloaded PowerIso and will be testing it in CrossOver...trying to install it with Wine gave me " An EXTREME Error Happened blah blah" so I gave that one option up. The DVD DL mounts correctly, it's seen on the desktop i can click it and it will show me it contains nothing with a path of "burn://" I imagine it can be done in that window for data discs but not discs that need to be bootable.

Any help appreciated.

***I want to mention that my usual tools for such tasks either fail (k3b) or, as I remember telling my BIOS, that the optical drive was the first place to look when booting, which it did not to, but then again, my BIOS was rebooted to all its default parameters once I managed to get in the BIOS when I thought I had broken the whole motherboard down (desktop wouldn't boot for 20 minutes, then I left it alone for 20-30 minutes and I could start it, but all defaults of the BIOS at been put into place, which meant more work in the bios, which I could not stand anymore spending a whole night and morning into trying to do something, but my 2x4gb pairs of Corsair Vengance Pro ram sticks need to be set at different voltages that the BIOS gives them by default, so I end up with 1333mhz ram if I don't change the voltages, which are 9-10-9-27, I remember that thing by heart now, and where to actually put those numbers...I was putting it at the wrong place in the past it seems, yet I could manage to get 1866mhz like I should then. I just installed furiousisomount, we'll see...oh and Brasero isn't ideal because I can't tell it to burn at 1x, which is the preferable speed to burn Windows for some reason, I knew it was the only way to burn WinXP on a CD/DVD+-RW or else it wouldn't work and be recognized as a Windows disc.

edit 2 : Yep, as usual, k3b ruined an expensive dual layer DVD at 49% in the process of burning. It doesn't like dual layer dvd's...and my DVD burner isn't a cheap generic one, it's not out there awesome, but it's the best from Asus I could get at my Asus accredited local computer shop, ASUS DRW-B3ST-i, paid 40 something for it, for even better I would have needed to wait even longer. Any no other program ever screws burning like k3b when it comes to DL DVD's...too bad, the error log is not of any use, it describes the burning process and where the error occurred and what parameters in the background if I used it in the terminal were used and telling it to use 1x speed didn't prevent it from average 4x speed, which is the max speed for these Phillips DVD+R's DL's...I wonder if it's because they are +R and not -R...oh well, here goes likely nothing with a Brasero burn on one of my last 4 DL DVD's.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: So it's come to this, I can't burn an updated Win7 iso (yes I still dualboot)

Post by Pierre »

it does seem that you got burnt by the windows system,
when trying to update it's drivers. :cry:

however, you should be able to burn a win-7 ISO with K3b
- it's not GBs in size, so what you are trying to burn, is the wrong ISO.
which is why K3b is failing - - I'm not sure as to whether it can even handle DL DvDs.

now, that the hardware seems to be working again,
- is the Linux system, also now stable ?.

do you wish to get wither win-7 OR win-10 back & working again?.
- it would pay to get the correct ISO for whichever one you wish to use,
directly from the Microsoft download site.

if it's any easier, you can also get a USB Stick with the windows installer,
already on it, to save having to write any ISO to some media.

also2: when you re-install the windows system, you will have to also
re-install the Linux boot loader, as well.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
fruitkiller

Re: So it's come to this, I can't burn an updated Win7 iso (yes I still dualboot)

Post by fruitkiller »

The disc I had made of a surprisingly small, supposedly april 2006 win7 iso that fit a regular DVD-RW didn't work like I said when made with Brasero. Now with this september 2014 sp1 iso, before all the crap started coming, I'll be able to take full control of it, and K3d messed up the 6.1 gb iso at 49% like I said, so I said whatever I'll try with one of my remaining DL DVD+R's and bam, when I rebooted earlier, my settings are fine, it said press a key to boot from DVD.

Brasero hated my now only for show disconnected LG DVD+-RW/CD+-RW burner and k3b worked well with it, now it's the opposite, strange, but I'll take it, only made that Dual Layer DVD-RW's although announced were never made, and double sided DVD's are not the answer when installing an OS. But yep, I was able to burn after I corrected something in Disks (which is in the end added to fstab), my ASUS optical drive had this "nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show" in the mounting options, which would make strange 1mb partitions show up when I inserted a disc, the solution, I found, was to add comment= before x-gvfs-show. I'd like to know what changed anything in there because I sure didn't, but that's the way things happened since a little while. We can consider this resolved as thankfully, Brasero is doing the job perfectly, and I was unable to make PowerIso work through CrossOver or wine, the latest version anyway, 6.6, the guide I saw was for 4.5 when before the makers of PowerIso removed the burning functions from it so they could sell their gBurner program...thankfully later PowerIso's iterations after a while brought them back, so gBurner is redundant. I couldn't even make a backup work correctly in windows, so I just moved the files myself in Linux to my external reserved for backups. (equivalent of our home directory here, + Program Files and Program Files (x86) which will give me an idea of what to install quickly. Thankfully that late 2014 iso should have almost all drivers included, except for my video card and sound card which gets updated every now and then.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I'm sorry for your predicament, but asking for help with pirated software is not permitted on this forum. As per the forum rules, section I rule 4, this topic is locked.

Return to “Storage”