Adding Extra Hard Dics (ext3)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Lolo Uila wrote: Ah that's just Scorp's way. He can be a little harsh sometimes, but he does put in a great deal of time and effort posting here to help others. His posts are usually helpful, in spite of their sting. Sure he could be nicer about it, but take a look at his avatar... does that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside? :)
LOL :D
Lolo Uila wrote: I was, in fact, trying to treat it like Windows.
... you filthsy little hobbit :wink:
Lolo Uila wrote: PS: The simplest way to do this is just create a folder on the desktop and mount the drive/partition to that folder.

Right-Click on desktop - Create Folder NewHD (or whatever you want to call it)
Then add a line to fstab
/dev/sda1 /home/trp/NewHD ext3 defaults 0 0
reboot... done!
Yes, that's one more way to do it. :D
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

Sure he could be nicer about it, but take a look at his avatar...
Then he has no business being a moderator at a supposedly "professional" distro board.

If I had a staff member who behaved like a mouthy jerk toward (potential) clients, on my corporate time and turf, he'd be lucky if I only confined him to the back office.

No problemo. I'm finished with trying to lend a hand at a forum where a supervisor acts to lower the bar on professionalism and people skills.

-----
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

telic wrote: Then he has no business being a moderator at a supposedly "professional" distro board.
What makes you believe that this is the professional part of the board? Professional support costs money as you may know .... and I am a volunteer here. I don't get one single cent for the help I give to others here. On the contrary - the people I work for in real life would love to charge money for this kind of support .... And they do. Not here though. :wink:
telic wrote: If I had a staff member who behaved like a mouthy jerk toward (potential) clients
Pay me. Then talk again, OK? :D
telic wrote: on my corporate time and turf, he'd be lucky if I only confined him to the back office.
And you'd be lucky to have me in the office :wink: Put me on your payroll and we will see? :D I "only" cost CHF 132'000 per year ... that's roughly USD 108'400.-- ... So once I get my payroll from you, you can judge for yourself how I treat clients professionally or not.

However, what I do in my spare time, e.g. here, is none of your business I guess? Not that I don't appreciate justified and constructive criticism from others. Some criticism was absolutely OK and justified and justifiable given that whatever I wrote up there could very easily be misunderstood in a too negative way. But you here are totally over-reacting :wink:
telic wrote: No problemo. I'm finished with trying to lend a hand at a forum where a supervisor
I'm not a "supervisor" oh you fountain of wisdom :wink: ... I'm just one of two unpaid + volunteer "forum admins" (the other guy being Husse from Sweden) whose task it is to keep postings in the right places and to remove unwanted spam messages. That's it. Whatever you are interpreting there it's not correct :D
telic wrote: acts to lower the bar on professionalism
Well, good thing then for me that you don't know me professionally then, right? Besides: I doubt that you could afford the services of my employer (I myself sure couldn't and wouldn't ...) so chances are you will never even find out :D
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

What makes you believe that this is the professional part of the board?
This board is part of the official Mint website. In the absence of written guidelines, appointed staffers set the local community standards by example of their own conduct.

This is the way the real world operates.

Paid or not, you're an appointed staffer. You accepted a title. You just don't want (or are unable) to accept the social responsibilities that accompany administrative authority. Freedom and power without according accountability.

A professional is identified by their high personal standards, especially at times when they aren't demanding cash payment just to be civilized to the public. Professionalism isn't a title, nor is it a paycheck, it's a code of conduct that's part of one's character.

Your appointment as a staffer here implies that you properly represent the Mint agenda.

The mercenary disregard for common people skills is a red flag.

------
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

telic wrote: This board is part of the official Mint website. In the absence of written guidelines, appointed staffers set the local community standards by example of their own conduct.
Yes, and now what? You want to say that I was soooo "bad"? LOL :D As I once wrote in another posting: Some people reach their limits sooner than others. :wink:

I set "examples of my own conduct" by solving other people's technical problems for free ... plus or minus the sarcastical remark here and there :wink: ...
telic wrote: This is the way the real world operates.
In the real world you'd be spending hours and hours on the hold because someone like me put you there :wink:
telic wrote: You accepted a title.
You're bizarre :D I didn't accept /dev/null ... I was asked to help out keep the forum in order and delete spam messages when I see them before the forum gets cluttered with it. That's it. :D There ain't no "titles" here :D :D :D
telic wrote: You just don't want (or are unable) to accept the social responsibilities that accompany administrative authority.
My "social responsibility" is to delete spam messages here because spam messages are considered very "anti-social" here. The rest is old silly me as always before. You didn't really think I'd change over night just because I received the admin powers to delete unwanted spam messages and to move topics into the right sub-forums here and there? Don't be naive. This is still "community" as good or as bad as it gets. My focus is to solve other people's technical problems, let them profit for free from my knowledge for which they otherwise would have to pay large sums. That is very "social" I'd say. My sarcastic remarks here and there ... oh well, that's old silly me. And you're totally over-reacting :D
telic wrote: Freedom and power without according accountability.
Knowledge and Know-How for free :D
telic wrote: A professional is identified by their high personal standards,
Yes, but I am not here as a "professional". I don't work for Mint, not for clem, and especially not for you :wink: This is Linux. But I have no code to share, so I share my knowledge, as good as I can. Whatever stuff you write up there is tip top and you may talk about this with your employees as long as you wish :wink:
telic wrote: especially at times when they aren't demanding cash payment just to be civilized to the public.
You're acting as if I had written God-knows-what up there. Dude, take a cold shower, yes? Sometimes it helps :wink:
telic wrote: Professionalism isn't a title, nor is it a paycheck, it's a code of conduct that's part of one's character.
And my "code of conduct" tells me that discussions with bizarre people like you aren't worth my spare time ... While reading and replying to this stuff you write here I could have helped other people ... :wink:
telic wrote: Your appointment as a staffer here implies that you properly represent the Mint agenda.
Yeah, right, whatever makes you happy :D
telic wrote: The mercenary disregard ...
That's OK ... being mercenaries and all that is good old Swiss tradition :D

"Title" or not, I am still myself. You want me to sing "halleluiah" and be all nice and fluffy like my new avatar? Pay me. Unless I get a paycheck from you, you will have to make do with the way I am :D ... and sometimes I am a bit (too?) cynic and even sarcastic. :D
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

sheesh, just lock up this topic... :?
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

New avatar? Awwww, now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

But with an avatar like that you'll have to be nice now. :P
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

Yes, but I am not here as a "professional". I don't work for Mint, not for clem, and especially not for you. This is Linux.
Such statements speak in ignorance of personal standards. Professional conduct is automatic and active 24/7 as part of personal character. It goes with an individual, everywhere, as readily as social awareness. Lack of social skills can account for spontaneous unprofessional manner.

Clearly, you've got a huge chip on your shoulder about your technical "knowledge", with too little maturity to moderate a boorish Prima Donna attitude -- oblivious to the consequence that Mint users can go to the Ubuntu Linux forums where there's more and good (often better) free information. The bonus there is that Ubuntu forums have written rules against antisocial behavior.

When you declare that you don't need to be professional here... When you imply that it's both your privilege and your pleasure to be a boor here... Then don't just say "This is Linux". Say, "This is Mint Linux", because your conduct of choice doesn't speak for any distro that aims to be socially aware.

Unfortunately for Mint, it's generally understood that "birds of a feather flock together", so obnoxious behavior by an appointed staffer will reflect upon the distro as a whole.

------
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

NiksaVel wrote:sheesh, just lock up this topic... :?
I've been thinking of this :twisted: ... But it might be (mis-) interpreted as censorship :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

telic wrote: Such statements speak in ignorance of personal standards.
You're naive :D
telic wrote: Professional conduct is automatic and active 24/7 as part of personal character.
Pay me. 24/7. Then talk again, OK? Until then I decide what I do in my spare time :D

Funny BTW: The person I wrote this "inadequate" thing to -- Lolo Uila here -- has obviously understood what I meant correctly. He (or she?) doesn't seem to be overly upset, instead he/she reacted with humor ... the warm and fuzzy thing and all that. He (she? soooorrry if I get this wrong ...) even admitted in a later posting that his / her actions were an act of "little stupidity":
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 6677#16677

And that's precisely what I meant with my sarcastic remark when I wrote that his / her ways of thinking were "inadequate": a slight "stupidity", nothing serious, but there are better ways to do this.

It seems everybody gets this right and understood me perfectly well, just you are getting upset about something which isn't even your business? :D
telic wrote: It goes with an individual, everywhere, as readily as social awareness.
The only thing that goes with me everywhere is my "hard dics (ext3)" ... And I think you get what I mean here when I say I this time really don't mean a hard disk :D
telic wrote: Lack of social skills can account for spontaneous unprofessional manner.
Good thing then that this didn't happen yet on my job :D
telic wrote: with too little maturity to moderate a boorish Prima Donna attitude
Sunt pueri pueri pueri puerilia tractant. :wink:
telic wrote: The bonus there is that Ubuntu forums have written rules against antisocial behavior.
You mean I could ban you if I were "working" for the Ubuntu forums? Oh dear :wink:
telic wrote: When you declare that you don't need to be professional here...
Nope, I don't work here :wink:
telic wrote: because your conduct of choice doesn't speak for any distro that aims to be socially aware.
You're so full of crap :D :D :D Have you ever been to any serious SUSE forum? Have you ever had the pleasure of hanging around in a mailing list with people such as Torvalds himself? Or have you ever used the Usenet Newsgroups? You have no idea what you are talking about. The tone in those forums / mailing lists / newsgroups is much much much much harsher. So if you have such a low tolerance for sarcastic remarks -- and I even wasn't making the remark to you in the first place (!!!) -- I suggest you stay away from those forums and mailing lists ... :wink:

Torvalds himself for example regularly uses the f*** word :wink: You can search for it in the kernel sources (all the files in /usr/src/linux/* ), there you will find plenty of occurences and Torvalds didn't remove them. If I do this here ...:

Code: Select all

cd /usr/src/linux 
grep -r "rainbows" *
Then I get plenty of results which would be "anti-social" according to you :D Hence you should probably stay away from any Linux distro I guess? :D

Want to try an experiment? Write your "social skill" crap to him (Torvalds!) :D :D :D ... I'd really love to see how he answers :lol: :lol: :lol:
telic wrote: so obnoxious behavior by an appointed staffer will reflect upon the distro as a whole.
Take a cold shower, will ya? And maybe chill out, cool down and take a walk outside instead of trying your "Social Skills 101" here on me, yes? :D
Last edited by scorp123 on Wed May 09, 2007 3:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Lolo Uila wrote:New avatar? Awwww, now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. But with an avatar like that you'll have to be nice now. :P
I was contemplating a few options .... :D

e.g. this one:

Or this one -- the "king" of all sarcastic remarks :D
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'll close this thread before scorp gets (even more) out of hand :)
//edit//
I see Clem has added some wise thoughts. I personally think scorp got a bit too far here, but I also remembered, after I closed the thread, that telic is a bit sensitive
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2094
(something happened to the thread - the beginning is lost/somewhere else)
But telic has also helped in the forum and it would be a pitty to loose him (her?)
Last edited by Husse on Wed May 09, 2007 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

Please think of the two moderators here as forum members who accepted to give us a hand. They're doing so in their spare time, they're not getting paid for it and they were chosen simply because I noticed they spent a huge amount of effort in helping people in our forums.

As far as I know they haven't abused the little bit of extra power they were given over other forum members and they did help a lot without asking for anything in return.

You might think they owe Mint something or, being part of the team, they have to meet some obligations. The reality is: they're helping me, they're helping us and we're grateful for that.

I don't expect them to show up in uniform and to act professionally in any circumstances. They're forum members, they're giving an extra hand and I can only be grateful for that.

If you think a moderator's attitude is not right, you have the right to tell him. The same way you can critizice another forum member attitude you can critizice a moderator. What you can't do is expect him to act as a Linux Mint Staff Member or some kind of employee.

We're talking about a volunteer, non-paid, community member who's devoting spare time in helping the project.

I just want to underline that fact before you both go on in this thread and get closer to implementing the Godwin Law.

Have fun insulting each other, this is a bit sad (although some sentences are quite entertaining). Remember you're doing so as forum members though and don't go too far or too personal in the insults.

Note: I appreciate the fact that, being involved in the discussion, Scorp123 doesn't act as a moderator. This is fair and it illustrates his point.

I missed the beginning of the argument and I don't want to get involved in it. I'll just say that: Scorp123 does get angry and pretty direct sometimes, we all know it. He's probably helped more people than any of us here (actually he has, it's a fact). And if I was to support that many people and answer that many questions I'd probably become more aggressive myself. Why does he do it? Is he altruist, maso or something or the sort? Who know? Anyways he's helping us a lot and we should be grateful for that. That's how I see it anyway.

Clem.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Oh by the way. If you want to kill each other, I strongly recommend our OpenArena server..

Clem

Return to “Storage”