µSD card mount error in Dolphin LM 17.3 KDE (solved)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sgthawker
Level 4
Level 4

µSD card mount error in Dolphin LM 17.3 KDE (solved)

Post by Sgthawker »

Hello all!

I have a problem with a Samsung 64GB µSD (micro SD) card while attempting to mount it in Dolphin, using a Sandisk ImageMate All In One USB 3.0 card reader, and an error that pops up. I also can't get the µSD card to mount in an android tablet or android phone.

Does anyone recognize this error?

Does anyone know of a way to attempt file recovery if I can't mount the µSD card?

Thank you for your time and effort in considering this issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Ryzen 7 5800X, GTX 3060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI on STRIX laptop, i7700 HQ, GTX 1060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
Mute Ant

Re: µSD card mount error in Dolphin LM 17.3 KDE

Post by Mute Ant »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT The error message, at the end, is a clue...the kernel doesn't understand exfat. That might be because there's a kernel-related update in progress, waiting for a system reboot. I've seen the same message for vfat after an upgrade. So reboot Mint and try mounting it again is the first step. If you continue to get the same message, try manually installing the packages exfat-fuse and exfat-utils as kernel-helpers.

To mend exFAT you need a Windows machine that has exFAT drivers...anything from XP-SP3 onwards really. Linux can read it and write it, but it can't repair it. Leave that until last. There's a straightforward Linux emergency-recovery sequence for devices with no file system, or a wobbly file system, or even wobbly hardware like a faded-and-scratched DVD that just can't be replaced. You need a Linux machine with more than twice the size of the device as free space...more than 128GB free space in your case.

1) Install the gddrescue package and use the ddrescue command to clone the whole problem-device as a single file. The command looks something like...
ddrescue /dev/sdX image.img image.log

Now you have a backup in case it's an SD card hardware problem. If you like, you can use Mint's USB Image Writer or the Disks accessory to write the image.img file to a different removable store...it depends how important the missing files are to you, really. In any case, put the original SD card somewhere safe for Windows to look at later.

2) Install the testdisk package and use the photorec command...
photorec image.img
...to search the backup file for intact data files, even if there's bits of image missing or no file system at all.

That's everything Linux can do to preserve the original data. You can use a Windows machine to attempt a repair of the original SD. In my limited experience it usually decides the only hope is to reformat it, which doesn't help a lot.

Of Interest

You don't have to use exFAT and be tied to Microsoft OS. If you don't need files bigger than 4GiB the older FAT32 system is good for storage to at least 1TB.

As a user of 64GB media you might look at this...viewtopic.php?f=50&p=1281718#p1281718 Not necessarily the problem you are having, but a real hazard in the market place.
Sgthawker
Level 4
Level 4

Re: µSD card mount error in Dolphin LM 17.3 KDE

Post by Sgthawker »

Thank you for your response Mute Ant ! I installed the exfat packages and that worked the charm. I was able to access the card and get most of the files off right in dolphin via linux. Some files were compromised, but that is fine, I got the important ones.

I then used win 7 to try to repair the card with no luck as you implied might happen. It is an original Samsung card, so I will call them for a warranty repair/replacement. I was aware of the fake cards from Sandisk issue, but have never gotten any of them myself, fortunately.
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Ryzen 7 5800X, GTX 3060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI on STRIX laptop, i7700 HQ, GTX 1060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe

Return to “Storage”