[SOLVED] Automatically mount partition in Mint 18.1 KDE?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
strohi

[SOLVED] Automatically mount partition in Mint 18.1 KDE?

Post by strohi »

Hey there,

I am using Mint 18.1 KDE and would like to automatically mount a NTFS parition that contains my music when logging in.
I found a solution that suggests editing /etc/fstab.

But I'd like to know if it is possible with just using the GUI. I am new to Linux and don't want to edit configuation files until I am a bit more used to Linux.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mcpg

Re: Automatically mount partition in Mint 18.1 KDE?

Post by Mcpg »

Try this: http://pysdm.sourceforge.net/
It's a graphical tool to modify fstab for you. ;)
strohi

Post by strohi »

Works like a charm!
Thank you.

I got error messages telling me the installation wasn't complete but I could start pysdm and had no issues using it.
The drive is now mounted at startup. :D
Altoid

Post by Altoid »

Hello:
Mcpg wrote:Try this: http://pysdm.sourceforge.net/
It's a graphical tool to modify fstab for you. ;)
Yes, I've read about it and as my experience with 'Disks' was rather a disaster, I' like to install pysdm, but ...

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get install pysdm
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       I have not had a good 
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package pysdm
Seems it is not there anymore.
Any ideas?

$ uname -a
Linux 4.4.0-62-generic #83-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jan 18 14:10:15 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
TIA.

A.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [SOLVED] Automatically mount partition in Mint 18.1 KDE?

Post by altair4 »

@Altoid,

Pysdm was removed from the Ubuntu repositories 5 years ago: Please remove Pysdm from Quantal: dead upstream, buggy

That was replaced with something called Palimpsest which was also buggy and more importantly impossible to spell correctly so it was quickly replaced with Disks ( gnome-disk-utility ) which took care of the spelling problem but as you noted didn't do much with the buggy issue.

Never understood why someone didn't make a stand alone applet of the utility the installer uses to add mounts in fstab:

It asks you what partition you want to automount.
It asks you how it is formatted and if you want to reformat it.
And it asks you where you want it to mount.
Then it uses a template based on the answers to those questions and how it is formatted to add to fstab:

UUID=long-bunch-of-numbers /mount-point ext4 defaults 0 2
UUID=shorter-bunch-of-numbers /mount-point ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0       0
Aficionados of fstab can always modify those lines ( noatime, windows_names, etc.. ) based on their own experience but at least the partition would mount.
Last edited by altair4 on Fri May 05, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "strohi",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

In the System Settings, Removable Drives, enable automatic mounting of drives, and check mark the drives and partitions you want mounted. This has always worked well for me and NTFS partitions. But since Linux Mint KDE version 18.x, automatically mounting Linux "ext4" partitions does not seem to be working properly for me. I have to edit the "fstab" file and reboot (restart) to get them to automatically mount well, which is not that hard to do. This process should work for any Linux Mint edition and version regardless whether it is a "NTFS" or Linux "ext" file system.

Example: I have a Data partition (Linux "ext4" file system) which I want to share with my Linux Mint KDE 17.3 and my Linux Mint 18.1 systems in a "dual boot" scenario because I have gigabytes of music and videos, etc... that I want to share without duplicating them on each partition.

How to automatically mount a partition, read the links below:

* Mounting a new hard disk or disk partition
https://mintguide.org/system/369-mounti ... -mint.html

HOWTO: Create & Use a Separate DATA Partition
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1609

Tips and tricks after installing Linux Mint Mate wrote:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... dition.htm
Auto Mount Drives at System Startup

Linux Mint is capable of reading and writing files stored on Windows formatted partitions using NTFS file system, but partitions must be 'mounted' before they can be accessed. With these steps, you can auto mount the drives or partitions without the need to manually mount them for access each time you start up the system.

In the console Terminal, enter sudo blkid to get the UUID (Universally Unique Identifier) of the partition you want to mount.

sudo blkid
phd21_my example from running sudo blkid wrote: /dev/sda1: LABEL="lm173kde" UUID="1d08e38e-a12e-432b-9acc-c3a85dc13ebc" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda3: UUID="cfffbc59-0740-4ae1-8719-3f2c04feac1d" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda4: LABEL="data" UUID="05782910-d674-41af-96dd-b61acd310435" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda5: UUID="e5c961dd-04d1-46a3-a31b-8c6aba142d5f" TYPE="swap"
to create a mount point (the "/media" folder is already present in all editions of Linux Mint) make a folder:

sudo mkdir /media/ntfs
or create a "/mnt" folder (mount folder)

sudo mkdir /mnt/ntfs
add the following line in the fstab file from the results of running "sudo blkid":
using a mount point of "/media/ntfs" (the "/media" folder is already present in all editions of Linux Mint)
UUID=1234567890123456 /media/ntfs ntfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other 0 0
or using a mount point of "/mnt/ntfs"
UUID=1234567890123456 /mnt/ntfs ntfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other 0 0
Replace the above 16-digit number with the UUID you've got from step 1, then click 'Save'.

For Mate edition

gksu pluma /etc/fstab 
OR
For other Linux Mint editions use the "gedit" text editor (may need to install "gedit" first)

sudo apt-get install gedit

sudo gedit /etc/fstab 
Replace the above 16-digit number with the UUID you've got from step 1, then click 'Save'.

Restart the system and check if the partition is mounted.

To identify disk partitions by label, either use sudo blkid or ls /dev/disk/by-label -g in the Terminal. To view partition sizes and file systems, enter sudo fdisk -l. Disks app mentioned in "Name or Label a Partition" also gives you a glance of device numbers, partition types, sizes and labels.
Last edited by phd21 on Fri May 05, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

In retrospect I should have noted that I was answering Altoid's question in my post not the original poster's question since this topic was already marked as [SOLVED].
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Storage”