USB pendrive mounted as read-only after being formatted

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
JonasB
Level 1
Level 1

USB pendrive mounted as read-only after being formatted

Post by JonasB »

Recently I formatted my pendrive using gnome-disks deployed with Mint 18.1 as a tool for disk managing. It was formatted using FAT file system. Since then I cannot copy any file on to it. Anyone can help me?
MichaelJohn
Level 4
Level 4

Re: USB pendrive mounted as read-only after being formatted

Post by MichaelJohn »

Can a Windows machine see/format the drive? If not it has probably failed in some away!
coffee412
Level 6
Level 6

Post by coffee412 »

I dont know if this will apply to you but I have had the same type of problem. Except, I noticed that mounting any usb stick it is mounted read only in Caja file manager. If I opened up a term window and worked with the usb stick it would read and right. So, It was an issue with Caja for some reason. So, I rebooted and the problem has gone away - at least for now.

See if you can open a term window and copy files to the stick. If you can then do a reboot and see if that clears things up.

Just my experience.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************
MichaelJohn
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MichaelJohn »

Just remembered - we have one laptop that will only recognise the USB stick if you boot with it in place.If you take it out it isn’t recognised when put back in...
JonasB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JonasB »

coffee412 wrote:I dont know if this will apply to you but I have had the same type of problem. Except, I noticed that mounting any usb stick it is mounted read only in Caja file manager. If I opened up a term window and worked with the usb stick it would read and right. So, It was an issue with Caja for some reason. So, I rebooted and the problem has gone away - at least for now.

See if you can open a term window and copy files to the stick. If you can then do a reboot and see if that clears things up.

Just my experience.
Thanks.
It seems a very serious bug in Caja to me.
Having to reboot my computer just do copy a file into my pen drive is annoying.
JonasB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JonasB »

MichaelJohn wrote:Can a Windows machine see/format the drive? If not it has probably failed in some away!
Yes. A windows machine can see, format and remount it as rw device.
coffee412
Level 6
Level 6

Post by coffee412 »

JonasB wrote:
coffee412 wrote:I dont know if this will apply to you but I have had the same type of problem. Except, I noticed that mounting any usb stick it is mounted read only in Caja file manager. If I opened up a term window and worked with the usb stick it would read and right. So, It was an issue with Caja for some reason. So, I rebooted and the problem has gone away - at least for now.

Just my experience.
Thanks.
It seems a very serious bug in Caja to me.
Having to reboot my computer just do copy a file into my pen drive is annoying.
Agreed.

I do find it interesting that since I rebooted a few days ago now the settings have been stable. I no longer have this problem. Perhaps an update of some software that is a dependency for caja was installed and needed reloading. Or on the other hand a config file corruption that corrects after rebooting. If this is the case it would be some temp file of some type.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

"very serious bug" If it is a bug, it happens predictably[+]. Just once I have had the kernel tell me mount: unknown filesystem type 'ext4' which looks horribly serious, and totally wrong, since the root file system was on ext4. Chief Inspector Corner (of the Yard) needs a repeatable sequence of actions that reproduce the effect. Can you make a Live Session do this?

[+]There's a special glossary to describe unwanted behaviour that happens unpredictably.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Return to “Mounting Partitions”