mounted volume does not appear

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tbrone
Level 1
Level 1

mounted volume does not appear

Post by tbrone »

According to everything I can find, mounted volumes should appear on the desktop when "Mounted Volumes" is checked under "Desktop Settings". I am mounting a shared volume using samba in /etc/fstab. The volume is in fact mounted, and I can access it through the file system. However, the icon link does not appear on my desktop. The attached screen shot shows:
1) exact version of Mint/Ubuntu - Linux nb7.gravatt.org 4.4.0-53-generic #74-Ubuntu SMP Fri Dec 2 15:59:10 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux.
2) that a volume is in fact mounted (/mnt/share/bill620/x as shown by output from the df command)
3) that the "Mounted Volumes" item is checked under "Desktop Settings".
4) that the icon does not appear on the desktop, but other checked items do appear.

I am presently running Compiz, but the problem also occurs in more traditional versions of Gnome.

I would appreciate some guidance.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: mounted volume does not appear

Post by killer de bug »

I guess you are using MATE. Am I right?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: mounted volume does not appear

Post by altair4 »

Mounted entities - be they partitions of cifs shares - will only display on the desktop or on the side panel of your file manager if they are mounted under /media or in your home directory. This is be design.

Your share is mounted under /mnt that a volume is in fact mounted (/mnt/share/bill620/x

So change your mount point to /media/share/bill620/x or simply create a bookmark from /mnt/share/bill620/x.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Storage”