installin on harddrive without operating system [solved]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
quincey543

installin on harddrive without operating system [solved]

Post by quincey543 »

My internal hard drive is kaput. I have a new one and i am using linux on a usb as my operating system. When I install it on the new hard drive will I get the option to allocate an amount of space or will it automatically take up the whole drive?
The laptop is a sony vaio e series.
Thank'y kindly
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: installin on harddrive without operating system

Post by Flemur »

quincey543 wrote:When I install it on the new hard drive will I get the option to allocate an amount of space or will it automatically take up the whole drive?
There are different options:
The easiest for a linux-only install is "use the whole disk".
If you want to define everything yourself, use the "Something else" option; use gparted to create the partition(s) first, then refer to them when installing.
You shouldn't see the "Install alongside windows" option.

PS: If you want to install windows later on, it's easier to install it first, then linux 2nd.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
quincey543

Post by quincey543 »

my new hard drive is empty, there is no op system on it so there is no possibility to use gparted I think, I don't think i can instruct the new internal drive by using gparted on the usb. I had no backup, so that's why i downloaded the iso to another computer. If i had an op system on the hard drive i could use gparted. I will just have to click install and see what options i am given.
A secondary question. Is it simple to remove an op system that is taking up the whole drive. Can i do that in the bios? I ask in case the install uses the whole drive, if it is buggy i would want to remove it.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hi--gparted works in the live mode after you boot with a usb/dvd live mode and use gparted.
Once you see your hard drive:
In the toolbar choose Device/Create Partition Table
Mostly choose msdos partition table
Once you have a partition table you can set up partitions to install Mint.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Storage”