Use partial bad disk for /var /tmp purpose

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SprinterDriver
Level 4
Level 4

Use partial bad disk for /var /tmp purpose

Post by SprinterDriver »

Hi.

I have a Samsung HD080HJ/P (80 Gb) drive that I failed ti install LM 18.1 Cinnamon x64 onto because the drive obviously have some bad sectors. I have earlier used the drive as scrap drive in Windows (location of %tmp%) without any problems. Therefore I assume the drive is partially usable and may have some time left before it fails completely.

Because of this (I may be vrong, but I have other drives laying around and can easilly replace it when it fails completely) I want to do this to the drive:
- about 10 Gb with no partitions at all (assuming greater chance that bad sectors is within the first part of disk).
- 10 Gb for /tmp
- Rest of space for /var
I won't have swap space on this drive.

So here is my questions:

Q1: Which file system would be the best chioce. When I set up Linux, I like to make separate partitions for /tmp and /var and format with ext2 - I beleive that would generate slightly less write activity to the disk compared to ext4.
But I would like to use a file system that is best equiped to handle cases where the drive does not save files propriately, maybe because of new bad sectors. I don't even know if I should dare to ask about this now when I told I would like to use a bad drive :P

Q2: In case of total failure of the disk, I'll obviously lost /var and /tmp partitions and I may expect that Linux Mint would not work without. I do already have a second drive to replace.
What steps do I need to take in order to bring LM up againg with a new drive that contains /var and /tmp ?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
So I got this bright idea. But when I tried to grab the light bulb, I did not hurt my hands as expected from a warm bulb, because it turned out to be one of those LED bulbs.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Use partial bad disk for /var /tmp purpose

Post by Pjotr »

Don't. It could lead to irreparable system damage (e.g. corrupted update packages and such).

Yank the rotten bugger out of your system and dump it. Best thing to do.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Storage”