Read Only Home Partition (file system permission) - after installation of 18.2

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Read Only Home Partition (file system permission) - after installation of 18.2

Post by austin.texas »

To make sure that all the files in your /home are owned by dario:

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R dario:dario /home/dario
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Gibbo

Re: Read Only Home Partition (file system permission) - after installation of 18.2

Post by Gibbo »

i should type that without any other command in normal boot?

And i think that changing the files permission would not allow Me and the System (DE and so...) to
write inside that partition, so to use this system. Am i wrong?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Gibbo wrote:i should type that without any other command in normal boot?
Correct.
Gibbo wrote:And i think that changing the files permission would not allow Me and the System (DE and so...) to
write inside that partition, so to use this system. Am i wrong?
You should be the owner of all the files in your /home, under all circumstances. Problems can arise if that is not the case.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Gibbo

Post by Gibbo »

Unfortunately the command tried for 30 sec to do something, then errors appeared,
We Must operate on the FS, otherwise we can't change owner of a single file... :cry:

(when ones install the OS, how do You set the /home FS Extension? i could only chose the same Ext4 which that partition /home had before)
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Gibbo wrote:Unfortunately the command tried for 30 sec to do something, then errors appeared,
We Must operate on the FS, otherwise we can't change owner of a single file... :cry:

(when ones install the OS, how do You set the /home FS Extension? i could only chose the same Ext4 which that partition /home had before)
If the /home partition is formatted ext4, you have to chose ext4. If you chose anything else, the partition will be formatted and you will lose any existing data on it.

It seems to me that you have a failiing hard drive or a damaged filesystem. I would back up anything you want to keep and wipe the hard drive (sda) clean and start over. Or. at least delete sda3 and create a new one.
What else is on sda? Windows?
Do you have a backup drive where you can save all your data?
Can you re-install Mint without chosing sda3 as /home, and then access the files on sda3?
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Storage”