LM18 doesn't recognize external hard drive :(

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintDude2013
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MintDude2013 »

Hi Forum:

I use LM18 with 3 external hard drives (in addition to 2 internal ones), two of which always get recognized/mounted when I start Linux. The third one, however, doesn't (although Win7 always recognizes it).

Googling for a solution didn't really find anything helpful. Except to open the Terminal and run 'sudo blkid', which showed all hard drives, internal and external, partitions, etc. just not the elusive 3rd external HDD :cry:.

Many thanks.

MintDude2013 aka John
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: LM18 doesn't recognize external hard drive :(

Post by catweazel »

Actually, that command has revealed the problem. The drive is not recognised.

First, if you haven't already done so, unplug all the other external drives and move the cable for the errant drive into a socket that was occupied by one of the two known working drives. Post back with the results.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MintDude2013
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MintDude2013 »

Hi Catweazel:

Thanks for your feedback!

Well, I did exactly what you suggested. The 2 external HDDs, that Linux always recognizes, of course showed up in the "Explorer". The third one, though, once again did not :shock:.

What next?

Many thanks again.

MintDude2013 aka John
MintBean

Re: LM18 doesn't recognize external hard drive :(

Post by MintBean »

Unplug all other external drives and try again.
MintDude2013
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MintDude2013 »

Hi MintBean:

Thanks for your reply.

Well, that's exactly what I did. Before restarting LM18 I unplugged the 2 'working' drives, i.e. only plugged in the one that doesn't and in one of the USB ports where one of the working external HDDs had been plugged in.

Still, the same result: Linux doesn't recognize the 'darn' thing :shock:.

MintDude13/John

Return to “Storage”