mint 18.3 and 8tb hdd file system

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gonzo01

mint 18.3 and 8tb hdd file system

Post by gonzo01 »

I have a new 8tb hdd that I intend to use for data storage - no OS.

I am running Mint 18.3 XFCE on another HDD.

using gparted I see that I cant use MSDOS for the boot partition - gparted defaults to BTRFS.

The rest of the HDD can be partitioned as Ext4 as normal ( or many other filesystems)

I see that RedHat is deprecating BTRFS and I am wondering whether this will be followed by other Distros.

What file system is recommended for use with an 8TB HDD that wont be no longer supported in the near future?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: mint 18.3 and 8tb hdd file system

Post by WharfRat »

syg00

Post by syg00 »

I don't understand the reference to boot partition - if it's to be data only, make it a single filesystem. I don't see btrfs going away - that is RHEL dropping the offering, they don't own btrfs.

I would also tend towards ext4 for a general use filesystem.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Your partition table wants to be GPT format - this supports partitions > 2TB.
Your partitions should be EXT4 format unless you've got a good reason to use something else.
gonzo01

Post by gonzo01 »

thanks guys

went with gpt for partition table and ext4 for disk.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

I use btrfs always now. It gives more flexibility for future useage. You can do snapshots, add space and do subvolume. For a drive that size, subvolumes may be interesting:

For example create a subvolume called @myvideos and mount it under /home/myusername/videos

Then do the same for downloads, pictures and music.

Return to “Storage”