Formatted USB stick is read-only

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Shadowhunter123
Level 1
Level 1

Formatted USB stick is read-only

Post by Shadowhunter123 »

Hello there,

everytime I format a USB stick on Linux, using either gparted or the preinstalled "disks" application, I cannot copy files onto that USB drive after the format, as the USB stick has been formatted as read-only. The file system I choose for the USB drive is FAT32. I am using Linux Mint 17.3 64bit Cinnamon Edition.
I know that as a workaround I can move files to that drive via Terminal with su permissions, but I'd rather have the USB drive to be writeable without su instead. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Formatted USB stick is read-only

Post by WharfRat »

It's not a bug, root is the only user that can format partitions so root is the initial owner of a newly formatted partition

Additionally, the FAT32 filesystem does not support owner/group or file modes i.e., executable read write.

What you would need to do is mount it with the uid=value and gid=value with value being your used id to be able to write to it.

Return to “Storage”