Attempting to retrieve files from encrypted partition

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
td1246

Attempting to retrieve files from encrypted partition

Post by td1246 »

I'm attempting to retrieve files stored to a partition but I didn't realize it was encrypted. This is the message I receive, can anyone tell me what it means exactly and if I can fix it?
Error unlocking /dev/sdb1: Command-line `cryptsetup luksOpen "/dev/sdb1" "luks-6ed13450-70e5-4fa9-baae-afcfd550f83a" ' exited with non-zero exit status 2: No key available with this passphrase.
(udisks-error-quark, 0)

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Attempting to retrieve files from encrypted partition

Post by WharfRat »

Hello td1246 Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

To access a LUKS encrypted partition you can use sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdb1 crypt

You'll be prompted for the password. After entering it mount the mapped device with sudo mount /dev/mapper/crypt /mnt

Your files will be available in the /mnt folder.
td1246

Post by td1246 »

Thanks for the reply, it didn't work... says that no key available with this passphrase. So I'm going to start recreating some of my documents that are on that drive :(
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

"tell me what it means exactly" The passphrase you used to unlock the volume does not unlock the data.

If you have a rough idea of what the passphrase should be, there are feasible methods of getting the machine to guess on your behalf...
https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-6225.html
...but if the passphrase is totally unknown, you might wait for years...or for ever.
https://superuser.com/questions/476945/ ... passphrase
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

td1246,

The password would be the one you used when setting up the LUKS container, not necessarily your user login password.

Return to “Storage”