Unable to mount Hardrive.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BKM

Unable to mount Hardrive.

Post by BKM »

Hello everyone !
I am a newbie in terms of Computer as well as in Linux. With the help of my cousin, I had replaced my previously Windows 8.1 by Lint Mint Cinnamon 18.1 (Sanya). Now, whenever I click on 'My Computer' then I get these 3 drives in which the first one is 'SAMSUNG HM120JI' [attachment]Drives.png[/attachment]. But the problem is it shows 'Unable to mount location & Can't mount file' whenever I try to open it.
Error message.png
What should I do to mount and open this ? Please help in out in this query. I will be attaching the images of 'My Drives' along with 'Error' I am getting.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Unable to mount Hardrive.

Post by karlchen »

Hello, BKM.

Just checked here on Ubuntu 16.04.3, on which Linux Mint 18.x is based:
Filemanager Nautilus does not display the whole harddisk object. So I do not run the risk of trying to mount what cannot be mounted.
On Linux, you do not mount drives or disks; you mount filesystems.

The third item from the top in your first screenshot reads "File System". This is the filesystem on your Samsung harddisk. This filesystem has already been mounted. You can click on it and you will see its content.

You cannot mount this already mounted filesystem a second time by clicking on the harddisk object Samsung HM120JI. I admit the error message is not particularly helpful, because it leaves its reader clueless. No system failure. The disk is already in use. A filesystem on the disk has already been mounted.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

karlchen wrote:Just checked here on Ubuntu 16.04.3, on which Linux Mint 18.x is based:
Filemanager Nautilus does not display the whole harddisk object.
Not by default since Computer on the side panel now points to /.

You can only get the old Computer listings of disks and mounted filesystems by running:

Code: Select all

nautilus computer://
They may have done this to avoid questions like this one where someone was trying to mount a hard drive and not a partition..
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
BKM

Post by BKM »

But how can I excess my File system like I used to excess on my 'Windows 8'. Is there any alternate file manager app to this where I can get back my old style of accessing files ?
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

BKM wrote:But how can I excess my File system like I used to excess on my 'Windows 8'. Is there any alternate file manager app to this where I can get back my old style of accessing files ?
If you're looking for something with a look and feel similar to Windows Explorer, then I highly recommend you look into Gnome-Commander.

It is a two-panel file manager equivalent and is available in the repos.

Good Luck
daret

Post by daret »

BKM wrote:But how can I excess my File system like I used to excess on my 'Windows 8'. Is there any alternate file manager app to this where I can get back my old style of accessing files ?
Is your windows partition encrypted?
- if yes, then you should decrypt it, or try this https://superuser.com/questions/376533/ ... e-in-linux

As far as I can remember, I have had some problem with mounting ntfs partition marked as corrupted/not clean.
Try to check and repair the partition from windows.

Return to “Storage”