My partitioning just got... eccentric

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

My partitioning just got... eccentric

Post by Silent Warrior »

Heeey, it's been forever since I last posted here! Somewhat good news, though: After swearing incessantly over the anti-dualboot insanity Microsoft has been sneaking into Windows 10, I just nuked my Windows partition. Woo! ... That is, after assembling a new, physically separate, PC, so I can do my Windows gaming in peace. Anyway.
I thought I'd be able to shove my partitions around, what with the Windows partition took up the first half of the HDD, extend my / partition and using the rest of the newly liberated (HA!) HDD space for my /home, but for some silly reason gparted wouldn't let me do that with mounted partitions. :wink: How rude!

So... now I have some 300-odd Gb partition currently mounted outside the normal hierarchy (... and outside of any sane hierarchy, frankly) that I actually managed to get to mount during boot - I'm impressed with myself! For some reason, I failed to set the mountpoint... I did remember to update grub2, though, so that has to be worth some geek cred. Well, what're you gonna do when you just smote your boot-flagged partition?

Well, do I have an actual question? Yes: Simply put, is there a way to sanitize my partitions (by which I mean, making them sane again - / + /home + swap, PERIOD) without doing a full reinstall? Is this way as straightforward as a full reinstall?
I have some external harddrives lying around, so at least space for temporary storage is not an issue. I've also MacGyvered the art of making package selection lists.

(I first considered posting this in the newbie area, but... Heh!)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: My partitioning just got... eccentric

Post by catweazel »

You could try rearranging the partitions from a live DVD or flash drive... after backing up your treasured stuff, of course.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

Yeah, I'll probably have to do it that way... I'll wait until 18.3 is out and do a proper reinstall, though, for that extra fresh feeling. Heh, there have been some eccentricities from my Mint installation for a while too, so it's just as well!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

No worries.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Storage”