Mounting two hard drives

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Izaiah1

Mounting two hard drives

Post by Izaiah1 »

I have two hard drives installed in my new computer. One is an ssd 120GB and the other is a seagate 1 TB. I am using linux mint and I want to use the ssd as a primary and the other for storage. I am fairly uninformed on basics of how to do this as far as partitions and what to allocate etc. I want to do this carefully so my data is backed up and my operating system(linux mint) works good. Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Mounting two hard drives

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Izaiah1 Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

Create partitions if necessary using gparted.

That app is not installed by default so sudo apt-get install gparted will install it.

The recommended filesystem is ext4.

After setting up a partition or partitions you will have to give yourself permission to copy files to them as root will be the initial owner.

Get your partition(s) setup the post back for follow-up instructions :wink:
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Easiest way to mount a drive is open the file manager and do it there.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
ShadowMessiah

Post by ShadowMessiah »

if you already have it formatted and have data on it, and it's a file system readable by Mint, you should be able to simply go in to the file manager and select the drive under "Devices". See screenshot below:
filemanager.png
If it's not there, the drive maybe corrupted. Or needs to be formatted. If the latter, follow the instructions from the first reply and get gParted.

Return to “Storage”