messy mounting system clean up

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kalimerox
Level 1
Level 1

messy mounting system clean up

Post by kalimerox »

Hi there,

I have a bit of a mess on my computer: i run linux mint and i mount all the extra hard drives manually. but i would like to have them automount to the same mountpoint all the time if possible,..

how would i do that?

my fstab is this:

Code: Select all

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=f3b67fc4-b33b-4dd3-8a5b-8bc36e5b433f /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
though i have like 5 hard drives mounted.. so it seems somehow my system is a bit messy. can someone give me a hint how i can clean this up and have all the drives mount automatically at startup ? thank you :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: messy mounting system clean up

Post by Termy »

That sounds very bizarre. While it is possible to mount several file systems to the same directory, you'll get only access to the latest file system you mounted, so the whole thing seems a little pointless to me. If you have some special reason for this, then, before I'll help further, it'd be helpful to get the terminal output of this command:

Code: Select all

/bin/lsblk -o name,label,fstype,size,uuid,mountpoint --noheadings
By the way, I'm just thinking, there might be a chance fstab (or whatever processes it) will kick up a fuss if you specify multiple mounts to the same mountpoint.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.

Return to “Storage”