Ext Hard Drive: You are not authorised to mount this device.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gigaswift

Ext Hard Drive: You are not authorised to mount this device.

Post by gigaswift »

When I try to mount my WD My Passport 1TB drive on my PC it takes a minute to detect it. When I click on it in the device notifier, it says "accessing" for about 30secs and then says that "You are not authorised to mount this device".

I changed setting for the hdd in "Settings" to automount it when connected, but that didn't change anything.

KDE Partition Manager won't load when the hdd is connected.

Connecting it to my Win 10 PC makes the PC unresponsive. My Computer shows the green progress bar in the address bar but it never completes loading it.

I have atleast 20GB of data on the hdd that I wanna backup, else I would have formatted the hdd, as connecting the hdd to my phone gives format option.

Can someone please help me access this hdd.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mattyboy

Re: Ext Hard Drive: You are not authorised to mount this device.

Post by Mattyboy »

Those passport drives have encryption.

"Password Protection Built-in 256-bit AES Hardware Encryption with WD Security software helps keep your content private and safe"

So it's likely you'll need to plug the drive into the computer or OS of the person who created it, their user name, their permissions.

So that may be an issue... not sure if this will work, probably not, but you could try a sudo mount and or changing permissions to the current user ( you ).

Plug it in and wait for the "You are not authorised to mount this device" to appear.

Use the

Code: Select all

lsblk
terminal command to identify the drive and its path, something like this.

sda              8:0    0 465.8G  0 disk  
├─sda2           8:2    0  99.5G  0 part  /media/mintman/7C80AD1880ACDA42
├─sda3           8:3    0 365.8G  0 part  
└─sda1           8:1    0   500M  0 part
make a file in your home directory called disk

Then, for example to mount sda2 8:2 0 99.5G 0 part /media/mintman/7C80AD1880ACDA42

sudo mount /dev/sda2 ~/disk
Check the contents of the disk folder.

You can also try gaining permissions on the disk by running

sudo chown $USER:$USER /media/mintman/7C80AD1880ACDA42
If you're unsure of these commands provide the results of lsblk in a reply and identify the drive.
gigaswift

Re: Ext Hard Drive: You are not authorised to mount this device.

Post by gigaswift »

Mattyboy wrote:Those passport drives have encryption......
I am gonna try this and reply back once I fix this constantly crashing firefox browser that won't even launch. Thanks.

Return to “Storage”