Error Creaing Partition

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thoss

Error Creaing Partition

Post by thoss »

I have just install LinuxMint 18.3 on a 124GB flash drive that I formatted using LinuxMint. I can boot without problems. When I go to Disks and click on 124 GB Drive in left pane, it shows 122 GB Free Space in right pane. I click in the 122 GB Free Space and then click the + sign to create partition in unallocated space. I accept the defaults of 122 GB and select type = “Compatible with all systems and devices (FAT)”, give it a name and click Create button. I immeadiately get the following error: “Error creating partition on /dev/sub: Command-line parted-align optimal-script “//dev/sub” mkpart primary ext2 1814 MiB 124218507263b” exited with non-zero exit status 1: Warning: The driver descriptor says the physical block size is 2048, but Linux says it is 512 bytes.
(Udisks-error-quark,0)

Please note this is my first try at bringing up Linux. I am typing this message on my iPad because I don’t have everything set up on the Linux OS. I want to create the LinuxMint system to run off the flash drive so that I can use it on my Dell Inspiron 5559 because Windows 10 is not very good.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Error Creaing Partition

Post by Flemur »

thoss wrote:I have just install LinuxMint 18.3 on a 124GB flash drive that I formatted using LinuxMint.
Did you actually install it - where you answer questions like your language and time-zone - or did you make a LiveMedia by writing the install.iso to the flash drive?
“//dev/sub” mkpart primary ext2 1814 MiB 124218507263b” exited with non-zero exit status 1: Warning: The driver descriptor says the physical block size is 2048, but Linux says it is 512 bytes.
Dunno whether that's terrible or not - is it showing the flash drive as being the wrong size? (4X smaller or larger?)
https://askubuntu.com/questions/675649/ ... size-error
I want to create the LinuxMint system to run off the flash drive so that I can use it on my Dell Inspiron 5559 because Windows 10 is not very good.
You can install Mint on the computer's "real" disk, keeping windows, with a dual-boot install.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
earnestbunbury
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Error Creaing Partition

Post by earnestbunbury »

I had this exact same problem. I tried to format an external hard drive using EXT4, as I was so incredibly angry at Windows (I had a dual-boot system). I finally told myself that I'd had it with Windows and if there was something I really needed to run in Windows I'd just use my laptop. So I re-installed Linux Mint, then went to my external drive to format it using 'Disks'. Got an error message and using help from these forums I downloaded and ran 'Gparted'. I tried over and over again to reformat the drive using EXT4. Always error messages. Never able to 'mount' the drive, etc. Went back to 'Disks' and tried again. Got the error message "Timed out waiting for object (udisks-error-quark, 0)".

Here's the kicker: All I had to do was unplug the hard drive and then plug it BACK into the USB port. It then showed up mounted with the last file system I formatted it under (FAT32). Might not be a help in your situation, but worth a shot if you're sitting there frustrated like I was for about an hour, formatting and reformatting over and over.

Return to “Storage”