How to resize an NTFS partition and give the free space to Mint?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ovisergiu
Level 3
Level 3

How to resize an NTFS partition and give the free space to Mint?

Post by ovisergiu »

Hello!
I am already using Linux Mint 18.3 on my laptop.
My HDD also has on old NTFS partition with all my documents, beside the Home and Linux Mint partition.
There is a lot of free space in the NTFS partition and I would like to increase the size of the Mint partition, even if that means to reinstall Mint.

I installed Gparted, I can see all my partitions but the NTFS partition can not be resized at all if I right click on it. (the resize option is grey)

Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
(MAIN) PC: LM 21 Cinnamon, x64, Intel Core i5-3570 CPU @3.40 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD
(Occasionally): Emachines e725 laptop: 3 GB RAM, Dual core Pentium T4500 (-MCP-) cache:1024 KB, Graphic Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How to resize an NTFS partition and give the free space to Mint?

Post by Pierre »

so the resize option is greyed out - - but what about the Delete Option ? is that greyed out / does work ?

you have an issue in resizing sda5 as the /swap partition sda6 is in the middle.

if you can, use that Delete option to Delete sda3 AKA that NTFS partition.
& then you will be able to re-size sda2 - - the Extended Partition .. to the RHS of itself.
then Move sda6 more to the RHS as well.

Finally re-size sda5 to the RHS as well.

- this will all take some time to achieve and does come with some risk, too.
you can use Gparted, to achieve all of this moving about.
( you will also need to use the Gparted, on the Live Boot Environment )

if you don't have much Data on this LinuxMint System,
then it may be quicker to just Erase & re-install the whole LinuxMint again.

if you do go this way,, then using Gparted from the Live Environment:
- erase All the existing partitions
- create 2 -3 New Partitions for the New System, with maybe a 4th partition for a NTFS / DATA partition.

then, using the 'something else' option in the Installer Menu,
and point the Installer to each partition in turn,
with the marking of each partition for / root,, /home,, /swap,, and leave the 4th partition to later on.
& then click on Next to continue with the rest of the Installation.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
ovisergiu
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to resize an NTFS partition and give the free space to Mint?

Post by ovisergiu »

Thank you, Pierre!
I am not that advanced to do what you replied.
But I think I will move my files from the NTFS partition to an external drive, erase all the partitions, and will give all the space to Linux Mint, cause I won't use Windows on this laptop anymore.
I will make a partition for the ”swap”, ”/boot”, ”home” and I want another partition for all my files, but different than home. So should I format that partition using ext4 too? What type should it be?
Thank you again!
(MAIN) PC: LM 21 Cinnamon, x64, Intel Core i5-3570 CPU @3.40 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD
(Occasionally): Emachines e725 laptop: 3 GB RAM, Dual core Pentium T4500 (-MCP-) cache:1024 KB, Graphic Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller

Return to “Storage”