How to automount with write access?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Brilsmurf

How to automount with write access?

Post by Brilsmurf »

Hi,
I did not see my problem in the FAQ or in the history of this forum.

I just installed Linux Mint, from an USB memory stick.
After booting from de computer disk, when I insert that USB stick, it automounts (or rather, I get asked).
However I cannot write to it.
When with RMB I open the properties menu, I have the option to change access rights: but they do not actually take effect.
Other USB devices automount with write access.
Is this normal for a bootable USB stick?
And what can I do to write to it?
Tom
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: How to automount with write access?

Post by trytip »

yes it is normal if you use the usb image creator which essentially turns your usb bootable into a unwritable DVD is the closest analogy i can use
the only way to get your usb back is to use the usb stick formatter which will erase the mint live. i found out the only way to create a bootable live linux and have it be writable is to use rufus on windows and to tick for old computers under format options
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Want to create a bootable, writeable USB stick from mint - install MKUSB. Works for me.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Brilsmurf

Post by Brilsmurf »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:02 pm Want to create a bootable, writeable USB stick from mint - install MKUSB. Works for me.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb
@AndyMH: Thanx for the suggestion. From a review of Mintstick I learned that it makes a single partition exactly the size of the ISO, so no space left to copy to. mkusb from the description does the same. The boot disk I created 3 years back does have a partition that fills the whole stick, with space left; I don know how I did that.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I used MKUSB to burn a REDO iso onto a 1TB USB HDD. Can't remember, but after it had done its work I think I may have used gparted to shrink one of the partitions to make space for my backups. End result in the picture.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Storage”