Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Brilsmurf
Level 1
Level 1

How to automount with write access?

Post by Brilsmurf » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi,
I did not see my problem in the FAQ or in the history of this forum.

I just installed Linux Mint, from an USB memory stick.
After booting from de computer disk, when I insert that USB stick, it automounts (or rather, I get asked).
However I cannot write to it.
When with RMB I open the properties menu, I have the option to change access rights: but they do not actually take effect.
Other USB devices automount with write access.
Is this normal for a bootable USB stick?
And what can I do to write to it?
Tom

trytip
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to automount with write access?

Post by trytip » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:09 pm

yes it is normal if you use the usb image creator which essentially turns your usb bootable into a unwritable DVD is the closest analogy i can use
the only way to get your usb back is to use the usb stick formatter which will erase the mint live. i found out the only way to create a bootable live linux and have it be writable is to use rufus on windows and to tick for old computers under format options

AndyMH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AndyMH » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:02 pm

Want to create a bootable, writeable USB stick from mint - install MKUSB. Works for me.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb
Thinkpad T430 i7-3632 Cinnamon 18.3, Thinkpad T410 Cinnamon 17.3, Thinkpad T60 18.0 Mate

Brilsmurf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Brilsmurf » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:06 am

AndyMH wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:02 pm
Want to create a bootable, writeable USB stick from mint - install MKUSB. Works for me.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb
@AndyMH: Thanx for the suggestion. From a review of Mintstick I learned that it makes a single partition exactly the size of the ISO, so no space left to copy to. mkusb from the description does the same. The boot disk I created 3 years back does have a partition that fills the whole stick, with space left; I don know how I did that.

AndyMH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AndyMH » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:19 am

I used MKUSB to burn a REDO iso onto a 1TB USB HDD. Can't remember, but after it had done its work I think I may have used gparted to shrink one of the partitions to make space for my backups. End result in the picture.
Attachments
redo.png
Thinkpad T430 i7-3632 Cinnamon 18.3, Thinkpad T410 Cinnamon 17.3, Thinkpad T60 18.0 Mate

Return to “Mounting Partitions”