Cannot mount NTFS drive

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nick Payne
Level 3
Level 3

Cannot mount NTFS drive

Post by Nick Payne »

I have a dual boot Windows 10 / Linux Mint 18.3 machine with a 256Gb SSD partitioned 50/50 between the NTFS C: drive and linux ext4. Even after Windows has been shut down cleanly, if I boot into Linux and attempt to mount the C: drive from Nemo, it always fails with the following error dialog:
Unable to mount DRIVE_C

Error mounting /dev/sda2 at /media/nick/DRIVE_C1: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000" "/dev/sda2" "/media/nick/DRIVE_C1"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: Windows is hibernated, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sda2': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
read-only with the 'ro' mount option.
I never hibernate Windows, I do a complete shutdown or reboot into Linux, and if I check the drive for errors while running Windows, none are found. I can mount the drive read-only with

Code: Select all

sudo mount -o ro /dev/sda2 /media/nick/DRIVE_C
but there are occasions where I want to mount the drive read-write on order to copy a file from Linux. Any suggestions on a fix?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Cannot mount NTFS drive

Post by WharfRat »

Besides hibernate there might be a Fast Startup setting that has to be disabled.

I don't have windows, so I can't direct to as to where to find it :?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Nick Payne wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:41 pm

Code: Select all

Unable to mount DRIVE_C

Error mounting /dev/sda2 at /media/nick/DRIVE_C1: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000" "/dev/sda2" "/media/nick/DRIVE_C1"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: Windows is hibernated, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sda2': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
read-only with the 'ro' mount option.
You need to disable Fast Startup in Win 10, Control Panel > Power options. Also disable fast boot in your BIOS.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Nick Payne
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nick Payne »

Thanks, disabling fast startup in the Windows power settings fixed the problem.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Nick Payne wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:46 am Thanks
You're most welcome.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Storage”