(Solved) Would like to get 2.0 TB volume on desktop at boot

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Post Reply
stevep3129
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:10 pm
Location: Central Point, OR

(Solved) Would like to get 2.0 TB volume on desktop at boot

Post by stevep3129 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:37 pm

Running LM 18.3 Cinnamon with a 256 GB SSD as boot drive and a 2.0 TB HDD as a secondary drive. Is it possible to mount the 2.0 TB HDD on boot and have its icon show up on the desktop without having to go to the home folder first?

This computer is a home build for my mother she is 90+ and it would lot easier for her to have it on the desktop when she boots it up.
Last edited by stevep3129 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11464
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: Would like to get 2.0 TB volume on desktop at boot

Post by WharfRat » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:21 pm

What I would do is have it mount to /media/2TB or whatever you want to call it and create s symlink in ~/Desktop.
ImageImage

stevep3129
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:10 pm
Location: Central Point, OR

Re: Would like to get 2.0 TB volume on desktop at boot

Post by stevep3129 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:23 pm

WharfRat wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:21 pm
What I would do is have it mount to /media/2TB or whatever you want to call it and create s symlink in ~/Desktop.
How do I do that?

User avatar
WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11464
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: Would like to get 2.0 TB volume on desktop at boot

Post by WharfRat » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:33 pm

Paste back sudo blkid
ImageImage

stevep3129
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:10 pm
Location: Central Point, OR

Re: Would like to get 2.0 TB volume on desktop at boot

Post by stevep3129 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:34 pm

stevep3129 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:23 pm
WharfRat wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:21 pm
What I would do is have it mount to /media/2TB or whatever you want to call it and create s symlink in ~/Desktop.
How do I do that?
steve@steve ~ $ sudo blkid
[sudo] password for steve:
/dev/sda1: UUID="9EC0-DA7D" TYPE="vfat" PARTLABEL="EFI System Partition" PARTUUID="35fe5d26-f57c-4195-a9d7-32a091ac6e55"
/dev/sda2: UUID="f4ea408c-2077-401a-b2e6-1ce1a4298856" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="292197f5-3b6a-4996-8176-114d673b4eb4"
/dev/sda3: UUID="8f32a8ce-e0bd-463a-b4c1-911961d36c44" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="ed0b8d46-29b8-4e9e-bb38-321647ca75a0"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="bace1082-0403-40df-8db4-73a49b3f9f64" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="9365de0d-481a-4348-83d3-1b943faef98c"
steve@steve ~ $

User avatar
WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11464
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: Would like to get 2.0 TB volume on desktop at boot

Post by WharfRat » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:44 pm

Create the folder with

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir /media/2TB
or whatever you want to call it.

Add UUID=bace1082-0403-40df-8db4-73a49b3f9f64 /media/2TB ext4 errors=remount-ro,user,noatime 0 2 to /etc/fstab with gksudo xed /etc/fstab&

Save fstab then ln -s /media/2TB ~/Desktop and sudo mount /media/2TB

If you use a different name for the mountpoint make sure it matches the fstab entry and the mount directive.

Good luck :wink:
ImageImage

stevep3129
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:10 pm
Location: Central Point, OR

Re: Would like to get 2.0 TB volume on desktop at boot

Post by stevep3129 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:59 pm

WharfRat wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:44 pm
Create the folder with

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir /media/2TB
or whatever you want to call it.

Add UUID=bace1082-0403-40df-8db4-73a49b3f9f64 /media/2TB ext4 errors=remount-ro,user,noatime 0 2 to /etc/fstab with gksudo xed /etc/fstab&

Save fstab then ln -s /media/2TB ~/Desktop and sudo mount /media/2TB

If you use a different name for the mountpoint make sure it matches the fstab entry and the mount directive.

Good luck :wink:
Thanks. I'm doing this on my computer and I'll try it on hers tomorrow. I hope it works. I have to log off to try it.

stevep3129
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:10 pm
Location: Central Point, OR

Re: Would like to get 2.0 TB volume on desktop at boot

Post by stevep3129 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:00 pm

I followed the directions to create a folder on the desktop and it did and came up on boot. When I opened it, it looked like when I open the home folder with no folders or files in the right hand pane.

After looking around in the menu selected Disks. It shows both primary and secondary drives. Selected 2.0 TB Hard Disk. Clicked additional partition options (the little icon with gears on it). Selected Edit Mount Options. Automatic Mount Options was on and all choices were greyed out. Turned off Automatic Mount Options and checked Mount at startup. Clicked OK and authenticated it. Closed all windows and rebooted. Worked like a charm. The 2.0 TB Volume was on the desktop.

It is rather counter intuitive to to have to turn auto mount off in order to mount a drive automatically on boot.

Disks is in two places in the menu. Under Accessories and Preferences. I might have found this solution faster if it was in Administration or better yet in System Settings in Hardware. Just a thought for consideration.

Thank you WharfRat and the Mint team for your help.

PS.
What is that little icon with gears on it called?
Last edited by stevep3129 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11464
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: Would like to get 2.0 TB volume on desktop at boot

Post by WharfRat » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:04 pm

Well that's odd. What does your fstab look like now grep -v ^# /etc/fstab
ImageImage

stevep3129
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:10 pm
Location: Central Point, OR

Re: Would like to get 2.0 TB volume on desktop at boot

Post by stevep3129 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:08 pm

WharfRat wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:04 pm
Well that's odd. What does your fstab look like now grep -v ^# /etc/fstab
steve@steve ~ $ grep -v ^# /etc/fstab
UUID=f4ea408c-2077-401a-b2e6-1ce1a4298856 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
UUID=9EC0-DA7D /boot/efi vfat umask=0077 0 1
UUID=8f32a8ce-e0bd-463a-b4c1-911961d36c44 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/disk/by-uuid/bace1082-0403-40df-8db4-73a49b3f9f64 /mnt/bace1082-0403-40df-8db4-73a49b3f9f64 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
steve@steve ~ $

User avatar
WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11464
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: Would like to get 2.0 TB volume on desktop at boot

Post by WharfRat » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:12 pm

I see it overwrote the line I gave you. if you entered it, and it's mounting it at /mnt/bace1082-0403-40df-8db4-73a49b3f9f64

You can leave it like that if it works for you.
ImageImage

stevep3129
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:10 pm
Location: Central Point, OR

Re: Would like to get 2.0 TB volume on desktop at boot

Post by stevep3129 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:16 pm

WharfRat wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:12 pm
I see it overwrote the line I gave you. if you entered it, and it's mounting it at /mnt/bace1082-0403-40df-8db4-73a49b3f9f64

You can leave it like that if it works for you.
It works great on two machines mine and my mom's.

Thanks.

User avatar
WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11464
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: (Solved) Would like to get 2.0 TB volume on desktop at boot

Post by WharfRat » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:22 pm

Can I also see ls -lhd /mnt/*
ImageImage

stevep3129
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:10 pm
Location: Central Point, OR

Re: (Solved) Would like to get 2.0 TB volume on desktop at boot

Post by stevep3129 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:26 pm

WharfRat wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:22 pm
Can I also see ls -lhd /mnt/*
steve@steve ~ $ ls -lhd /mnt/*
drwxr-xr-x 21 steve steve 4.0K Mar 15 17:59 /mnt/bace1082-0403-40df-8db4-73a49b3f9f64
steve@steve ~ $

stevep3129
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:10 pm
Location: Central Point, OR

Re: (Solved) Would like to get 2.0 TB volume on desktop at boot

Post by stevep3129 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:35 pm

stevep3129 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:26 pm
WharfRat wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:22 pm
Can I also see ls -lhd /mnt/*
steve@steve ~ $ ls -lhd /mnt/*
drwxr-xr-x 21 steve steve 4.0K Mar 15 17:59 /mnt/bace1082-0403-40df-8db4-73a49b3f9f64
steve@steve ~ $
I'm on my machine right now which has a 1 TB drive.

User avatar
WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11464
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: (Solved) Would like to get 2.0 TB volume on desktop at boot

Post by WharfRat » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:42 pm

OK, thanks - looks good :wink:
ImageImage

Post Reply

Return to “Mounting Partitions”