SOLVED:: NTFS formatted drive but Windows doesn't see it?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

SOLVED:: NTFS formatted drive but Windows doesn't see it?

Post by Pepi »

The drive is formatted to NTFS but the partition type is set to Linux (0x83). What will happen if I set the partition type to NTFS (0x07)? I'm a bit scared that something will trash out :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: NTFS formatted drive but Windows doesn't see it?

Post by Flemur »

Pepi wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:02 pmThe drive is formatted to NTFS but the partition type is set to Linux (0x83).

How did it get created?
What will happen if I set the partition type to NTFS (0x07)? I'm a bit scared that something will trash out
I just made a works-in-linux NTFS partition with gparted (which as far as I can see doesn't tell the "type"...?), but gnome-disks showed it as type 0x07
Edit: AND 0x07 always goes along with HPFS/NTFS in gnome-disks so that why I wonder how it got created.

scrot..jpg
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I wish I knew how it got this way ??? Only time I use Windows in for some Photoshop. I know the drive showed up a few months ago and now it doesn't? I guess I do a current image backup of the drive and set the flag and see what happens.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Pepi wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:48 amI wish I knew how it got this way ??? Only time I use Windows in for some Photoshop.
Photoshop runs a lot better in wine 3 than previous wines....I finally ditched virtualbox.
I know the drive showed up a few months ago and now it doesn't? I guess I do a current image backup of the drive and set the flag and see what happens.
Dunno why, but DOES LINUX SEE IT? If you can read the files, my free advice is copy 'em off and reformat the partition.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

What version of PS are your running in WINE 3 :?:
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: SOLVED:: NTFS formatted drive but Windows doesn't see it?

Post by Pepi »

Did a good backup of the drive. Changed to NTFS partition and now Windows see the drive and so does Linux 8)

Return to “Storage”