[Worked Around] cannot mount USB hard disk in Mint XFCE

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
erikjan
Level 1
Level 1

[Worked Around] cannot mount USB hard disk in Mint XFCE

Post by erikjan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:06 pm

On a Toshiba Satellite computer I installed Linux Mint XFCE 18.3 64-bit. The computer is old and slow, but still acceptable. There is a aggravating problem however: it is impossible to mount a hard disk via USB. Thunar sees the partitions, but trying to mount them I get the error:

GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: Action org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount is not registered (polkit-error-quark, 0).

I have searched on the internet and on this forum, but I could not find the solution, or understand what is written. The hard disk I try to mount has an ext4 system partition, a swap partition, a home partition with a few user directories and a vfat partition. Trying to mount any of them I get this error.

On Rosalinux PLasma R10 all partitions mount effortlessly. For this old computer however the lighter XFCE works better.

What can I do to make it possible that I can mount this hard disk on my XFCE installation?

Greetings,

Erkik Jan.
Last edited by erikjan on Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Re: cannot mount USB hard disk in Mint XFCE

Post by Mute Ant » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:37 pm

A Thunar mount is going to be a managed connection... possibly your user needs to be a member of the plugdev group? Just a guess though, I am in a Devuan system right now...
groups -----> mute dialout cdrom floppy audio video plugdev users netdev scanner bluetooth
Data stored in the volume will only be accessible with the correct password. If you lose this security key, all data will be lost.

erikjan
Level 1
Level 1

Re: cannot mount USB hard disk in Mint XFCE

Post by erikjan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:02 am

Dear Mute Ant,

thank you for your reaction. I do not dare to change members of system groups, because I do not know the consequences for the system. I solved the problem, or better: worked around it, by removing Mint XFCE and replacing it by Mageia 6 XFCE. Everything works now as expected, and I am able to read/write external hard disks.

Greetings,

Erik Jan.

erikjan
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Worked Around] cannot mount USB hard disk in Mint XFCE

Post by erikjan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:49 am

It turns out that the problem was not caused by anything in Linux Mint XFCE. After installing Mageia 6 XFCE I got other problems that made me desperate. A sudden brainwave made me boot with the option "diagnostics". The result was a "BIOHD-8 A SMART test failed".

I am glad that my problem had nothing to do with my Mint installation; All my Mint Installations on other computers always worked without a hitch out of the box.

So the real "work around" will be buying another hard disk.

Greetings,

Erik Jan.

Return to “Mounting Partitions”