Confused by auto-mount settings

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Domarius

Confused by auto-mount settings

Post by Domarius »

I noticed that my Windows drives / partitions are available, but only after I click on them in the file manager. This means files are just unavailable from within certain programs, until I do that every morning (for 4 drives).

Through some searching online I learned about the "Drives" app, but browsing the settings for each drive, it seems all of them already have "Automount" switched on, and below that, "Mount at startup" is always checked.

But they are clearly not mounting at startup. How can I get them to do it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Confused by auto-mount settings

Post by WharfRat »

You can setup the drives to mount at boot by adding them to the /etc/fstab file.

If you paste back the results of sudo blkid we can assist with setting that up.
Domarius

Re: Confused by auto-mount settings

Post by Domarius »

Thank you for the reply, yes I was just reading about fstab yesterday.

But as for this original problem, I ended up realising what you want to do is "switch off" the Auto mount setting, as the greyed out options aren't any indication of what it's actually doing. When Auto mount is switched off, you can now trust that "mount at startup" is doing what it says, and I got all my drives to stay available upon a restart.

Return to “Storage”