How to mount drive from crashed Win 10

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
James-Osbourne

How to mount drive from crashed Win 10

Post by James-Osbourne »

HP Model 700-56 AMD-A10 6700. Serial MXX32109PT Maximally crashed by Windows update.
SS Drive is in an enclosure USB connected to Linux Mint Sylvia HP laptop. It is the C: drive from the computer running up-to-date Windows 10..

The drive appears in linux "computer" It looks like some Windows program it trying to mount it to Windows.
Parts of the error message when I click "mount" in Linux.

Windows hibernated. NTFS partition in an unsafe state. Resume and shut down Windows.
Two goals: get data if possible, then install Mint Cinnamon.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: How to mount drive from crashed Win 10

Post by MintBean »

From https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... d-to-mount
So, I stress that this will destroy any unsaved data that is in the hibernated Windows session. If that is not an issue for you, you should be able to access the drive by running:

sudo ntfs-3g -o remove_hiberfile /dev/sdXN /path/to/mount

Change sdXN to your windows partition (e.g. /dev/sda1) and /path/to/mount to the actual path you want to mount to.

That should mount the drive correctly and since it will delete the hibernated session file, it should mount normally from now on.
James-Osbourne

Post by James-Osbourne »

Thank you very much.

Clarify "unsaved data", as if I was working and had a file open that I had edited but not saved, or do you mean any data on the disk that I have not yet recovered?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

and to Quote from that same link:
"While it is generally a bad idea to try to mess with Windows configurations outside of the Windows GUIs (not just from *nix, but even by editing the files directly within Windows), Windows does occasionally botch sleep or hibernation mode that it can't recover itself from. In those instances, the only way to get it to boot again, or at least recover any data, is to remove the hibernation file and force Linux to mount it."
IE: you only be attempting to copy your files from that crashed windows system,,
& not be attempting to edit or modify any files on that crashed windows system.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
James-Osbourne

Post by James-Osbourne »

sudo ntfs-3g -o remove_hiberfile /dev/sdXN /path/to/mount

Change sdXN to your windows partition (e.g. /dev/sda1) and /path/to/mount to the actual path you want to mount to

When I plug the drive in an enclosure to the Mint LT, a message uhelper=udisks2,nodevk id=1000,gid=1000""/dev/sdc4/james-osbourne/windows" exited with non-zero status 14:windows is hibernated, refused to mount.

There are documents, pictures and video I will like to recover. That is the goal. My auto backup was not working and I had not checked in some time. The drive was screwed by a Win 10 update. Goodbye Bill, et al.

Regarding sudo ntfs-3g -o remove_hiberfile /dev/sdXN /path/to/mount

Should I make that sudo ntfs-3g -remove_hiberfile/dev/sdc4/ [What is path to mount?]
The drive is found at computer:/// and there has the name Sabrent Sabent:Windows. The enclosure is Sabent. I have also seen the drive as sabrent, but cannot recall where.
James-Osbourne

Post by James-Osbourne »

I am a Linux novice.
I have a Windows 10 SSD, the C: drive from a crashed Windows system. The drive is in a hibernated state with an unstable file system. My goal is to recover data
Ths drive is in an enclosure plugged into an HP laptop running Mint Cinnamon Sylvia.
I do not know how to specify a mount location.
I do not know the command to force a mount
Is there a better way to recover the data?
I have been trying every suggestion I can find. I do not think I am using the commands correctly.
I will appreciate detailed, step-by-step instructions that assume I know nothing.

I do not know how to specify the drive or partition: of which there are 5. I do not know how to specify a place to mount the drive.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the path or drive or partition that you wish to 'Mount'
can be found by Typing into Terminal

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
that's a lowercase L not a 1 if you manually type that . .

use the results of that to determine which partition it is, that your ext HDD is located as,
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
James-Osbourne

Post by James-Osbourne »

Thank you. Once more into the breach....
James-Osbourne

Post by James-Osbourne »

james-osbourne@jamesosbourne-HP-Pavilion-dv6-Notebook-PC ~ $ sudo ntfs-3g -o remove_hiberfile /dev/sdb4 /media/james-osbourne/mount
[sudo] password for james-osbourne:
The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb4': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
read-only with the 'ro' mount option.
james-osbourne@jamesosbourne-HP-Pavilion-dv6-Notebook-PC ~ $
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

Sorry no one got back to you earlier ...

Make a mount point, let's call it WindowsHD:

sudo mkdir /media/WindowsHD
Now, mount that volume read-only:

sudo mount -o ro /dev/sdb1 /media/WindowsHD
Note: presumes the Windows drive is "sdb" and the partition is the first one on that drive.

Return to “Storage”