Linux Mint 18 Cin does not see SSD with Win 10

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Philarn 2

Linux Mint 18 Cin does not see SSD with Win 10

Post by Philarn 2 »

My pc has Win 10 preinstalled on SSD (drive 3).l I have installed Linux Mint 18 Cin on sdb2. Dual boot works, but Linux Mint does not recognize the SSD.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Linux Mint 18 Cin does not see SSD with Win 10

Post by kyphi »

Win 10, when you reboot to go into Linux Mint, does not shut down entirely but goes into hibernation and retains the mount point for its own use. The rationale here is that Win 10 will start quicker the next time around.

The remedy is to turn OFF hibernation in Win 10. Right click on the Start button, select Windows "PowerShell (Admin)" and type powercfg -h off, press Enter and exit the screen.

In addition, you may also have to disable "Fast Start" in the BIOS.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Philarn 2

Post by Philarn 2 »

What you say kyphi makes sense. Unfortunately after disabling hibernate by typing powercfg -h off in cmd.exe as administrator which also seems to turn off fast boot there is still no recognition of the ssd which contains OS c. The other partitions located on sata drives are there.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

By the way, if you want to reverse the hibernation option just use powercfg -h on

I am at a loss to understand what you mean by "OS c". Perhaps you could provide more details.

Did you install using UEFI ?

Is there a pre-installed UEFI partition ?

I had assumed that Linux Mint was unable to see the Win 10 partitions, perhaps I misunderstood your question :(
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Philarn 2

Post by Philarn 2 »

My boot is set to UEFI mode.

Windows 10 is on drive c; thus OS c

Linux Mint which was installed on a sata drive is unable to see Windows 10 which was pre installed on the SSD.

Grub2 also does not see the Windows loader.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

If GRUB does not see the Windows loader then your installation was not successful even though you stated in your first post that dual-boot works.

When Windows is already installed, a subsequent Linux installation will question via a small programme called os-prober (operating system prober) if any other operating system is already present. Linux follows that convention whereas Windows does not.

In the interests of better communication I would like to offer the following information:
Windows shows its main drive as C (not c). Linux Mint shows drives as sda, sdb, sdc and these may be subdivided into partitions sda1, sda2, sda3, etc.
SATA is an interface standard to connect to peripherals such as hard drives. These may be mechanical or solid state (SSD).

I recommend that you download "Boot-Repair" https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/
Select the appropriate version you need: https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/files/

One alternative is to re-install.

If you want to use Boot-Repair, you will have to write it to a USB stick and boot from that.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Davdi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Davdi »

Just a thought, when you installed Mint, did you use GPT or MS-Dos style partitioning, it might make a difference. My Gigabyte board is UEFI and boots Win10Pro, Mint 18.3 and PCLinuxOS. If I want Windows (very rarely), the EFI defaults to boot Windows from the SSD. If I hit F12 before Win boots I get the EFI Boot menu where I can chooses either of the 2 Linuxes or Windows. If you want Windows on the Linux Boot Menu, you may need to add it by doing 'sudo update-grub' in a terminal, or you may need to edit grub.cfg to add a chainloader entry for windows.
After you've turned off Windows hibernation, can you access the SSD from Linux (to view documents etc.) - If so, either updating Grub or adding a Chainloader entry should solve the problem.
Just stop and think before you click that link.

Return to “Storage”