Mounting DATA partition in Mint 19

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alynur

Mounting DATA partition in Mint 19

Post by alynur »

Hello Linux people. A while back when I had first installed Mint 17 and went through the process of creating a DATA partition and then symlinking my home folders to it, I was unable to boot into Mint. I had used the same fstab scheme that I had used in Ubuntu 16.04. After getting help here on this forum, I resolved the problem by modifying the fstab as such
# User created DATA partition, mounted at /mnt/DATA
UUID=585c3e2f-c6be-4802-885d-eead48242766  /mnt/DATA     ext4      defaults,noatime,noauto 0 2

This worked fine and again in Mint 18. But now I'm trying to use the same scheme in Mint 19 and I keep getting kicked into emergency mode, just as I had at the beginning. The journal shows that it is the mounting of the DATA partition that is failing due to dependencies. What gives, what is wrong with this fstab entry?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Mounting DATA partition in Mint 19

Post by MrEen »

Hi alynur. I'm certainly no expert on this, but I wonder if noauto might be the cause. I would think you DO want it automounted at boot. Couldn't hurt to try without it and see.

EDIT: Looking at your previous thread, did you remember to add the Startup Application command mount /mnt/DATA?
alynur

Post by alynur »

MrEen wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:57 am Hi alynur. I'm certainly no expert on this, but I wonder if noauto might be the cause. I would think you DO want it automounted at boot. Couldn't hurt to try without it and see.

EDIT: Looking at your previous thread, did you remember to add the Startup Application command mount /mnt/DATA?
Actually, the noauto was how I got the fstab entry to work in Mint 17 and 18, it wasn't necessary in Ubuntu. I had tried it without it and that didn't work either. Please understand, it's not a problem of the DATA partition not being mounted after boot up, it's a boot up problem. At the moment I can't get into Mint.
alynur

Post by alynur »

In Community,LinuxMint.com, a tutorial showed the end of the entry should read defaults o 2
I tried that also and still I get bumped into emergency mode on boot up.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

OK - silly suggestion, probably, but sometimes people overlook or forget the obvious. You did create a /mnt/DATA mount point, right?
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

alynur wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:22 am In Community,LinuxMint.com, a tutorial showed the end of the entry should read defaults o 2
I tried that also and still I get bumped into emergency mode on boot up.
The end of the line should be defaults 0 2

The next to last character is zero, not the lower-case letter o (as in oscar).

And, if the drive is not always available, I use something like: UUID=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxx /mnt/Working ext4 rw,nofail 0 2

The nofail prevents a time-out when booting if the disk is not found.

A really good source of information for fstab is found in the Arch fstab wiki
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

There's no need to play with fstab if you don't have a particular urge to. Mounting partitions using Gnome Disc Utility is pretty intuitive.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=255060
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

# User created DATA partition, mounted at /mnt/DATA
UUID=585c3e2f-c6be-4802-885d-eead48242766  /mnt/DATA     ext4      defaults,noatime,noauto 0 2

This worked fine and again in Mint 18. But now I'm trying to use the same scheme in Mint 19 and I keep getting kicked into emergency mode, just as I had at the beginning. The journal shows that it is the mounting of the DATA partition that is failing due to dependencies. What gives, what is wrong with this fstab entry?
What happens if you just comment out that line? When I've had errors like that it (booting) just wastes 1.5 minutes until it gives up...unless the problem is with the OS partition. Are you sure the OS ("/") line is OK in fstab?

That line is almost exactly like the one I have for a non-auto-mounting Ubuntu OS partition:

Code: Select all

# Don't mount at boot:
#
LABEL=UBUN  /mnt/UBUN  ext4 defaults,noauto,user,noatime  0 2
I mount it by hand when I need to get to the Ubuntu OS.

My data partition is similar, though:

# Mount at boot:
LABEL=DATA  /mnt/DATA  ext4 defaults,noatime 0 2
Check that your UUIDs match:

sudo blkid
I'm not running Mint 19, but I'd be surprised if 19 has significantly different fstab entries than 18 or 17 ...
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

The journal shows that it is the mounting of the DATA partition that is failing due to dependencies.
Your current line in fstab that controls this mount is this:
UUID=585c3e2f-c6be-4802-885d-eead48242766 /mnt/DATA ext4 defaults,noatime,noauto 0 2
systemd will have created a "mount" unit named after the mount point - in this case /mnt/DATA becomes a mnt-DATA.mount unit.

So the next time you boot or reboot open a terminal and run this command to see what "dependency" is giving it grief:

systemctl list-dependencies mnt-DATA.mount
EDIT: To put this in context in an earlier post on your previous version of Mint I suggested this:
altair4 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:37 am Another option if you want to go with the Startup Applications route is to change your fstab entry to this:

UUID=585c3e2f-c6be-4802-885d-eead48242766 /mnt/DATA     ext4  defaults,noatime,noauto,user,exec 0 2
noauto = will prevent this partition from mounting at boot time.
user = will make it so you don't have to be root / sudo to mount it.

Then your Startup Application command would be: mount /mnt/DATA
You told me that didn't work but you made it work by removing the user,exec options. From my perspecitive without the user option your startup application command wouldn't work and the partition would never mount. But it worked for you somehow so your problem has always been a strange one.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
alynur

Post by alynur »

MintBean wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:26 am There's no need to play with fstab if you don't have a particular urge to. Mounting partitions using Gnome Disc Utility is pretty intuitive.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=255060
Hi MintBean, not exactly what I wanted but using the Disc utility did the trick. The guys at the onboard Mint chat pointed me there. What gets to me is why Mint has to be so different from Ubuntu. It was super easy with Ubuntu.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

For the benefit of those of us ( OK, maybe it's just me ) who do not use this Disc Utility thingy you speak of would you mind sharing with us the line in fstab that it created for this partition?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

/dev/disk/by-uuid/5E8AA2BB8AA28ED9 /mnt/Data auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0Okay, not his setup, but the only difference is UUID.

'/dev/disk/by-uuid/' is just an alternative for 'UUID='

Return to “Storage”