Unable to mount 500 GB Volume

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ashofmann

Post by ashofmann »

I have a Seagate Free Agent external USB drive of 500 GB. There are 2 partions- a 2.1 MB volume and a 500 GB volume. The 500 GB volume is my backup. It contains all of my documents, books and music of which there is no other copy. My Timeshift files are also there.
Linux Mint 18.3 no longer will mount the 500 GB volume. It shows up under devices. the 2.1 MB partition mounts OK.

Here is the text from the dialog box:

Error mounting /dev/sdd1 at /media/scotty/72afd7b8-0686-4bef-8cfa-8d3e145f599b: Command-line `mount -t "ext4" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid" "/dev/sdd1" "/media/scotty/72afd7b8-0686-4bef-8cfa-8d3e145f599b"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: mount /dev/sdd1 on /media/scotty/72afd7b8-0686-4bef-8cfa-8d3e145f599b failed: Structure needs cleaning
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ashofmann

Re: Unable to mount 500 GB Volume

Post by ashofmann »

I did some further investigating and found this on another Forum.

sudo fsck.ext4 /dev/sdd1

After reading the thread, I ran the above in Terminal. After it checked the disk I answered yes to all of it's questions.
I rebooted the system and the 500 GB drive mounted! The info all seems to be intact, but I will investigate further.

I answered my own question and fixed the problem. I have been using Linux Mint for a year and found that these Forums have been helpful. Quite frankly I have had few problems with Mint.

Sorry for posting too soon. Perhaps someone else may benefit from the fix.

Return to “Storage”