External Drive Naming Convention Confusion

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
em r

External Drive Naming Convention Confusion

Post by em r »

I am running LinuxMint 18.3 on an hp presario.
When I plug an External Drive and mount it, it is mounted in Media directory and named with a long number/sequence.
I have numerous partitions on my internal disk as well as the external disk.
If I wish to alter a partition with fdisk, I don't know how to cross-reference the long number/sequence name with the more conventional naming of the drive, sda, sdc3, or etc that fdisk and gparted use. I would not want to make a mistake in fdisk.
What can I do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: External Drive Naming Convention Confusion

Post by gm10 »

The mount point and the device names are very different things. You cannot write files to /dev/sda1 directly, either.

lsblk let's you cross-reference mount point and device name.
Last edited by gm10 on Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Have you put a label on the drive using Gparted ?
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

em r wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:54 pm If I wish to alter a partition with fdisk, I don't know how to cross-reference the long number/sequence name with the more conventional naming of the drive, sda, sdc3, or etc that fdisk and gparted use. I would not want to make a mistake in fdisk.
What can I do?

Code: Select all

sudo blkid
will provide you both the "long sequence" mapped to the /dev/sdXN that you are looking for.

Return to “Storage”