Encrypted /home unmounts automatically

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sebbo
Level 2
Level 2

Encrypted /home unmounts automatically

Post by sebbo »

Hi there,

i hope this has not been asked somewhere else, i could not find any hints on this.

After all the trouble i had with long boot times, i have had the following issues three times in the last days:

After logged in, my XFCE desktop loaded and i could even start a browser or Thunderbird. The profile loaded without any issue. But suddenly the desktop wallpaper went into some defaultish blue background and the programs behaved weird.

When i openend a shell to examine, i was not greeted by the default look, but rather by a default bash (which does rather seem like the default bash, but not like the default Mint bash prompt).

When i checked /home/sebastian (my user obviously) there was only the ecryptfs folder and a shortcut to mount my data.

I interpret this behaviour as if after login my home folder was decrypted and then suddenly it was decided to unmount it again.

So the remount with the shortcut seemed to work, but XFCE desktop was still behaving weird, so i logged out and in again and things behaved alright.
When i tried to reproduce now it was enough to just mount the home again.

Screenshot of homefolder can be found here:

https://i.imgur.com/zlWI4nc.png
dmesg and syslog can be found here:
https://filebin.net/ccakpdn4cnlas3he

I digged throug the files but i do not see something suspicious...

would appreciate any help on this!

Thanks a lot!

br
sebastian

I
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sebbo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Encrypted /home unmounts automatically

Post by sebbo »

I could narrow it down a bit, but just a few minutes ago when i bootet my laptop it happened again. So it seems i have a 100% reproducibility for now...

After login Home was decrypted automatically.

I did nothing but started thunderbird, Thunar in my home folder and a shell with tail -f /var/log/syslog to observe what happens.

Suddenly /home/sebastian disappears and is replaced by what you can see in the screenshot of my previous post: the cryptfs folders and the Readme + Shortcut.

In /var/log/syslog i could see the following while this happened:

Code: Select all

Aug 15 18:36:06 sebastian-hp systemd[1]: Starting Stop ureadahead data collection...
Aug 15 18:36:06 sebastian-hp dbus-daemon[1358]: [session uid=1000 pid=1358] Successfully activated service 'org.gnome.GConf'
Aug 15 18:36:06 sebastian-hp systemd[1]: Started Stop ureadahead data collection.
Aug 15 18:36:10 sebastian-hp flatpak[1589]: libostree pull from 'flathub' for appstream2/x86_64 complete#012security: GPG: summary+commit http: TLS#012delta: parts: 1 loose: 2#012transfer: secs: 16 size: 6,1 MB
Aug 15 18:36:16 sebastian-hp systemd[1]: Started Session c4 of user sebastian.
[b]Aug 15 18:36:16 sebastian-hp nm-dispatcher[1009]: Signature not found in user keyring
Aug 15 18:36:16 sebastian-hp nm-dispatcher[1009]: Perhaps try the interactive 'ecryptfs-mount-private'[/b]
Aug 15 18:36:19 sebastian-hp accounts-daemon[908]: g_file_info_get_file_type: assertion 'G_IS_FILE_INFO (info)' failed
Aug 15 18:36:19 sebastian-hp accounts-daemon[908]: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Aug 15 18:36:27 sebastian-hp ntpdate[2033]: adjust time server 192.53.103.108 offset -0.007196 sec
Aug 15 18:36:29 sebastian-hp accounts-daemon[908]: g_file_info_get_file_type: assertion 'G_IS_FILE_INFO (info)' failed
Aug 15 18:36:29 sebastian-hp accounts-daemon[908]: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
^C
The two highlighted lines could give me some google results that date back ~2 years:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1623453

But there seems no solution.

I can't be the only one to whom this happens, can i?

Why is my /home suddenly unmounted?

Return to “Storage”