Need Partition Help <SOLVED>

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Need Partition Help <SOLVED>

Post by rbeltz48 »

How do I merge the sda1 partition with the unallocated space as shown below? I have tried the Live CD and a Gparted CD with no success. Thanks.
Screenshot at 2018-08-16.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
srq2625

Re: Need Partition Help

Post by srq2625 »

The key is that the partition you want to manipulate can't be mounted. So, unmounts it, give it a go and see if that doesn't get you moving.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

rbeltz48 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:11 amHow do I merge the sda1 partition with the unallocated space as shown below? I have tried the Live CD and a Gparted CD with no success. Thanks.
From LiveMedia, using gparted I would delete all the partitions except sda1; then you can just extend it into the free space you just created, but leave room for swap.

Then re-create your swap partition and make sure the UUID matches the one in /etc/fstab (if it doesn't match...it's not the end of the world, but it'll wait 1.5 minutes during boot if it can't find the swap partition - but then it'll boot and you can fix it from your running system).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

OK. I have 4 GB of memory on my test box. Should I make the Swap file 8 GB, twice the memory?
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

rbeltz48 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:11 am How do I merge the sda1 partition with the unallocated space as shown below? I have tried the Live CD and a Gparted CD with no success. Thanks.
Unfortunately, you can't the way it is right now. sda1 is a primary partition, and sda5 is a logical partition that is within the extended partition sda2.

You'll need to delete sda5 and then delete sda2. You can then expand sda1 to whatever size you want.

Extended and logical partitions are great for their purpose, but this is one of the drawbacks.

If you don't need more than 4 partitions on that disk, make sure that when you create a new partition, it's set as a primary partition, not logical.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

Thanks Flemur and JerryF. Followed your advice and it worked like a charm. But had to edit the /etc/fstab file for the new Swap on sda2 instead of sda5. Good to know there are knowledgeable people here on the forums. Even after 12 yrs. with Linux off and on (started with Ubuntu 5.04 and have been F.T. with Linux since 2012) there is still so MUCH to learn. Thanks again.

Return to “Storage”