Usb mouse and keyboard stop working

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Newfrontier

Usb mouse and keyboard stop working

Post by Newfrontier »

Hello, am a relative new person to linux but have been using mint for about three months. I have a problem with my usb mouse and keyboard that happens when the computer is left alone for several hours. When the computer (Dell precision 390) first starts, the mouse and keyboard work fine, but if the computer is left for a lengthy period of time, they aren't working when I return. A power cycle fixes this.

I have tried turning off power management in the os and bios. Also have changed usb ports. I tried a different keyboard and mouse as well.

Any thoughts on next steps?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Usb mouse and keyboard stop working

Post by Joe2Shoe »

First, check the batteries on the mouse/keyboard, if applicable.
Second, turn OFF Suspend/Hibernation in the OS.
Good luck.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Newfrontier

Post by Newfrontier »

I've turned off hibernation modes in the operating system and double checked the bios settings as well. The mouse is battery run and I put in fresh ones. The keyboard is a direct connect.

Some additional info I forgot to post earlier. I'm using mint 18.2 64-bit.

Before running mint, I ran Windows 7 and did not have this particular issue. Really don't want to go back to Windows unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks
Newfrontier

Post by Newfrontier »

An update, I found out that I was actually running mint 18.1

I've updated to mint 18.3 which is the last release before 19. I'll write back if this resolves it.
Newfrontier

Post by Newfrontier »

Completed the update to 18.3 with cinnamon and the problem persists. Still looking through other forum entries, but no luck so far. Let me know if you can think of anything to try.

Thanks Much.
franklinvv

Post by franklinvv »

Hello,

The problem happens to me! Keyboard and mouse turn off and the OS still working. My keyboard is a Cooler Master Quick Fire TK and Logitech M90.

Thanks.
gdcutting

Post by gdcutting »

I am having the same problem. Turned off suspend/hibernate, screensaver, and screen lock. Now the machine stays logged in and the display stays on, but after a few hours the mouse and keyboard no longer work, despite the keyboard being powered (lights are on). Keyboard and mouse are definitely functioning properly otherwise (tried them with a different machine). I followed these directions:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/848698/ ... nux-distro

to enable waking from USB devices, and that didn't help.

This is very annoying as I have to reboot the machine every time this happens. Running Mint 19.
5f4d65

Post by 5f4d65 »

I have the power switch set to "Ask me" and even that does not interrupt the screensaver. The only solution I have, is to have no screen saver.

Return to “Storage”