New SSD drive and disk cloning software

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wadswob

New SSD drive and disk cloning software

Post by wadswob »

I am wanting to replace my old, very old, 750GB HD with a new 500GB SSD from Crucial. My question is this, what is the best Linux based cloning software that I can use to clone my HDD to my new SSD? The Crucial SSD comes with Acronis True Image but it does not support Linux from what I can tell.

My Linux Mint 19 is running on a 10+ years old HP with 8GB RAM and an old AMD quad core processor. Actually it runs pretty good. However, since it is over 10 years old I want to upgrade my HDD drive to a SSD for long-term reliability and more speed. I do not want to build it from the ground up as I already have it set up like I want.

Thanks - Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: New SSD drive and disk cloning software

Post by thx-1138 »

...i think you're probably looking for something like Clonezilla?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: New SSD drive and disk cloning software

Post by AndyMH »

As an alternative try redo:

http://redobackup.org/

download, burn to CD or USB and boot from that. It's what I use for partition image backups and also used to clone an HDD/SSD. It has a much simpler user interface to clonezilla. Used it when I swapped out my SSD for a bigger one - backed up all partitions, restored to new SSD, used gparted to resize the partitions for the larger SSD once your system has booted.

But, redo didn't copy the MBR (or maybe grub) and ended up with a system that wouldn't boot. So also had to download boot-repair, burn that to another CD and boot from that to fix the boot problem.

https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home/Home/
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Storage”