ext4 partition setup with Disks not to mount automatically randomly mounts itself

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fruitkiller

ext4 partition setup with Disks not to mount automatically randomly mounts itself

Post by fruitkiller »

My old ext4 partition for a previous linux installation which I haven't deleted because, well, anyone with a really fast internet collection find themselves having to do janitorial work on their computers, I know I do, 3 internal drives, 3 external drives, about 30 usb keys from 8 to 128gb....

Problem is it is not setup to mount itself at boot, which it doesn't seem to do, but sometimes randomly it will mount itself and even later it became stranger when I had to put in my password to unmount it. I want to get rid of it soon because most of the data on there I wanted to save is backed up. Should I use OS-Uninstaller or just format it with gparted and be done with it. Either case, me wanting to format the partition has nothing to do with that strange behaviour I've never seen before, wherer an internal drive partition mounts itself, I'm afraid I'll have to learn how to really use Lynis and AIDE to harden the system...I feel like some hacking has been going on a few PC's in the house. It is literally set not to mount itself at boot in Disks and I don't know of ways to mount a partition at some pre-determined time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Re: ext4 partition setup with Disks not to mount automatically randomly mounts itself

Post by BG405 »

Do you have any symlinks to files on there, or a bookmark, or any program with references that might explain it mounting?

it's worth posting the outputs of blkid & cat /etc/fstab to see whether the Disks utility has been doing it properly. I've read that it doesn't always get it right.

Note: You may need to use sudo blkid instead if no results are returned.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Storage”