[SOLVED] Unable to nfs mount from new mint 19 to mint 17

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Unable to nfs mount from new mint 19 to mint 17

Post by bjornmu »

I seem to get into trouble with NFS every time I get a new computer....

I've been running two boxes with Mint 14 and 17 and I have mounted home directories both ways. Never bothered to automate since they tend to be on continuously, so I just mount manually after reboot. Now the Mint 14 is being retired and replaced with a new box with Mint 19. But I get access denied when I try to mount my home directory on the new box to the Mint 17 one. Oddly, it does work on the Mint 14.

I installed nfs-client and nfs-kernel-server, added an entry to /etc/exports:

/home/bjornmu *(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)

, and did /usr/sbin/exportfs -ra

What am I missing? There's nothing in the syslog. On the client side (Mint 17) I get the same error if I try mounting a directory which does not exist.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Re: Unable to nfs mount from new mint 19 to mint 17

Post by bjornmu »

I know this is old but I just figured it out: The local directory on the client host that serves as the mount point must be owned by the same user as the directory on the NFS server. Apparently this changed some time between Mint 14 and Mint 19. But I had created that mount point under / as root, so it could not be used to mount my home directory owned by myself. I chowned the mount point to myself and then it worked! Only thing I cannot understand is why I didn't think of this before.... :roll:
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: [SOLVED] Re: Unable to nfs mount from new mint 19 to mint 17

Post by Portreve »

bjornmu wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:56 pm Only thing I cannot understand is why I didn't think of this before.... :roll:
This is symptomatic of a condition called lackabeer. Fortunately, it can be cured readily enough.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Storage”