[SOLVED]Create a VM storage partition

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gebonimo

[SOLVED]Create a VM storage partition

Post by Gebonimo »

Hi people,

I'm trying to set up a W7 VM on my Linux 18.3. This computer is actually on dual boot.

I want to use a dedicate partition to do this, so I've created the VM partition (mounted as /dev/sda3).

My disk arch is like this
  • /dev/sda1 : Windows System Partition (100 Mo)
  • /dev/sda2 : C: of Windows (~250 Go)
  • /dev/sda3 : VM for Linux part (old D: of Windows, ~350 Go)
  • /dev/sda4 : Linux Mint 18.3 (~450 Go)
I created a security group named "vm" and added the kvm's user. I allowed this group to edit and create files in /dev/sda3 since the vmdk of my VM is stored in here.

But when I try to set up the VM, it keeps telling me that KVM has no access to this file. I presume it's because it has to go throught "/media/me" before.

How can i set up this ? Editing fstab ? Upgrading my /dev/sda4 size so I don't have the access trouble anymore ?

Thanks for help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Create a VM storage partition

Post by deepakdeshp »

You have to mount sda3 on some mount point then the device will be accessed by the name of the mount point.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Gebonimo

Post by Gebonimo »

Even tho when the partition is mounted I can't access to it. I set up the partition to be automatically mounted when Mint starts up. But kvm still has no permission to read or write on it.

EDIT: Did you mean create a mount point ?
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

You can mount to an existing mount point or create a directory and mount sda3 onto it.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Gebonimo

Post by Gebonimo »

Thank you. it worked.

I do this again to do my backups.

I set it solved.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [SOLVED]Create a VM storage partition

Post by deepakdeshp »

You are welcome
Regards,
Deepak

Return to “Storage”