Mount /home of my SSD on another computer

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Shadowhunter123
Level 1
Level 1

Mount /home of my SSD on another computer

Post by Shadowhunter123 »

Hi,

I am going to have to return my notebook to the manufacturer's service center. I have a Linux Mint 18.3 installation on the notebook, my user account is secured by a password. Of course I am going to erase all critical and personal data on my drive, before I send it out to customer support services.
However, I am wondering whether or not my SSD/hard drive, especially my /home directory, can be mounted by the people in the service center, so that they can read out my personal data stored on /home? In other words: Do you have to insert the password to the specific user account in order to gain access to a /home directory on another hard drive?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Mount /home of my SSD on another computer

Post by JerryF »

Shadowhunter123 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:19 pm Hi,

I am going to have to return my notebook to the manufacturer's service center. I have a Linux Mint 18.3 installation on the notebook, my user account is secured by a password. Of course I am going to erase all critical and personal data on my drive, before I send it out to customer support services.
However, I am wondering whether or not my SSD/hard drive, especially my /home directory, can be mounted by the people in the service center, so that they can read out my personal data stored on /home? In other words: Do you have to insert the password to the specific user account in order to gain access to a /home directory on another hard drive?
No, only if it's encrypted. So if your /home is not encrypted, anyone can read your information in it.
Shadowhunter123
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mount /home of my SSD on another computer

Post by Shadowhunter123 »

Thank you very much!

Return to “Storage”